Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 56 unlogged users and 1 registered user online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mootOffline
Post subject: 3800SC Headers to NAERC frame  PostPosted: Apr 10, 2006 - 09:56 PM

I'm mounting a 3800SC with Audi transaxle to a NAERC chassis. It wasn't obvious before, but now I know I need to get different headers as the stock headers that come with the 3800SC FWD engine only clear the side of the engine compartment by a few inches. So the question is...which headers have people found compatible with my set up?

I'm in California...so there are likely to be some smog issues...but I'm willing to do that research myself. Any other advice as far as the exhaust goes like coated or uncoated headers?

Thanks,

Moot

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: 3800SC Headers to NAERC frame  PostPosted: Apr 26, 2006 - 02:51 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I built the exact same setup and I made an X pipe at the rear of the engine going to two small cats and then to an X pipe muffler. I made a plate to block off the original outlet. We have not had any issues by doing this. We are at almost 12,000 miles since the build.
The only other thing I can HIGHLY recommend is header wrapping everything on the exhaust and around the exhaust.
The cats and muffler were both Magnaflow.

Jim

gwaderOffline
Post subject: RE: 3800SC Headers to NAERC frame  PostPosted: Apr 26, 2006 - 02:16 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I also heard Ken was making a header set for the 3800 setup. I'll be using Jim's method. Its cheaper and works.

Greg

Custom NAERC 6.0
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28631797@N03/

jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: 3800SC Headers to NAERC frame  PostPosted: Apr 30, 2006 - 03:00 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Just for the record I changed the design of the exhaust from the early pictures.
I made the pipes cross and fasten to each other under the throttle body like an X pipe. This allowed me extra room to install 2 catalytic converters. I used 2" in/out Magnaflow cats. These are mounted front to back beside the engine bay walls and then into the muffler. The muffler mounting has not changed.

Jim

mootOffline
Post subject: Pre-manufactured headers of self fabricated??  PostPosted: May 01, 2006 - 08:43 PM

So, I saw what ken had at the Knott's show for a header and it looked extremely simple. Unfortunately, I had little time to spend at the show and Ken and his crew were swamped with people and I didn't get to speak with Ken. I wish I had a digital camera as he had a chassis with the wiring, headers and fuel system already complete.

So which headers did you start with?? Did you modify existing headers or did you fabricate your own? Did you get some pictures of the way that the headers and exhaust systems fit into the chassis?

Thanks,

Moot

guywithlamboOffline
Post subject: RE: Pre-manufactured headers of self fabricated??  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2007 - 04:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

check this out , on GM 3.8 S/C he's using a Mustang 3.8 header exh. manifolds and they are LP.
http://www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

Jump to: