Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 62 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
blindprofit44Offline
Post subject: Grand National Engine Swap  PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I just bought a 30th Anniversary SE Diablo Kit Car and I was told that IFG makes it...I was so happy seeing that I had this car since I am only 19 and that the real Diablo was my ultimate dream car I almost died from the shock of being able to say that it was mine...Then I found out how much hp the V6 Fiero engine came with, a whopping 120hp...Thats less than a Civic, hell thats less than my Cavalier...I was wondering if I could swap either a LS1 or Grand National engine into the car to beef up the power...But I was also wondering which would be cheaper...I think the Grand National but I dont know if I culd rig it to the stock tranny and if not (which I doubt because I heard the stock tranny only holds 300hp), which one do I use?

Thanks for the support Confused

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
bobboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2005 - 02:40 AM

a grand national should fit with minor modifcation and should give you moderate hp.
Bobbo

RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2005 - 03:23 AM
KitCentral Fellow

A Grand National motor in a Fiero-based Lambo would be awesome and has been done before quite a few years ago. BUT (notice that is a big but), more than a few things present problems.
The Buick doesn't bolt to a Fiero transaxle. Even if you could make an adapter, the transaxle wouldn't be able to handle the power.
A turbocharged engine doesn't work well with a manual trans. The release of the throttle when you shift interrupts the boost. That is why most turbo cars use an automatic. The power is constant through the shifts made by an automatic.
The time that combination was built, the Grand National was fitted to one of the old style Buick Riviera front drive transaxles. Considering the Riviera weighed over 4000 pounds, it was thought that should handle the power. It didn't. It was built and re-built four times. It is hard to tell what was wrong, but the transaxle didn't like the setup.
If you have ever had the chance to drive a Grand National, you would know how strong that combination would be. The word "moderate" doesn't do justice to the power in a Grand National, but it will require a lot of innovation to get a workable combination.

blindprofit44Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 - 01:13 PM

Sad

So, seeing that I live in NYC, there arent any places that I know of that I could bring this car to get it fixed. Like I said I'm only 19 and I have no knowledge on kit cars. I was hoping that the Grand National would be an easy switch...=(...Because I would rather have the LS1, but I can't afford that. My friends Supra is manual and Turbo. He says, at least for that car, The manual is way better than the automatic...Like I said before, what is the cheapest route to get better power under my "hood" cause 120hp is NOT cutting it. Not only is it low, it must be killing that little engine to pull all that weight, the doors alone weigh a ton, I could only imagine the whole car.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
vipercolinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2007 - 05:22 PM

I am running a Grand National engine in my car and it is not cheap. Heating is another issue on turbo chaged cars. The tranny I am running is a Audi 5000 with euro drive clutch and pressure plate. Works well just got to get my over heating issue figured.

blindprofit44Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2007 - 05:39 PM

i have since sold the kit car, but for the overheating issue have you contactied griffin for maybe a custom setup? getting air to the back of the car can sometimes be a problem

i currently have a 94 Z28 which is getting a TT setup

capt,ginyu
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2007 - 02:51 AM
KitCentral Fellow

actually a fiero makes more power than a Civic(Unless your talking about the new SI) I can pull modified Vtecs all day in my fiero.

Grand National engine is a great choice but its a matter of finding one avalable.

Why not an L98 or LT1 with bolt on's? they make great power and they are dirtcheap.

mkcOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 11, 2007 - 02:25 AM

Your grand national needs an inline water pump between the rads on the crossover pipe. Your factory water pump will not move the water in that system. Trust me I built your car , that is what we had to do to the v12 car and now it runs in the hot wiether no problem.

PanteraOffline
Post subject: Re: Grand National Engine Swap  PostPosted: Dec 26, 2007 - 01:57 AM
KitCentral Fellow

blindprofit44 wrote:
I just bought a 30th Anniversary SE Diablo Kit Car and I was told that IFG makes it...I was so happy seeing that I had this car since I am only 19 and that the real Diablo was my ultimate dream car I almost died from the shock of being able to say that it was mine...Then I found out how much hp the V6 Fiero engine came with, a whopping 120hp...Thats less than a Civic, hell thats less than my Cavalier...I was wondering if I could swap either a LS1 or Grand National engine into the car to beef up the power...But I was also wondering which would be cheaper...I think the Grand National but I dont know if I culd rig it to the stock tranny and if not (which I doubt because I heard the stock tranny only holds 300hp), which one do I use?

Thanks for the support Confused

Like the capt was saying a stock Fiero V6 is actually more powerfull than a stardard civic powerplant but less than a cav. Iv'e looked into a Grand National powerplant and if price isn't an issue id say go for it man! they are great engines and you can make so much power out of them its not even funny how powerfull those things can get and they sound great, its almost like a 427 going into an AC chassis its a great match for the fiero they will work in a fiero tranny as long as you don't crank up on the boost it shouldn't snap the tranny in fact the tranny from what the local fiero club has told me those can handle more than 350hp so you should be good to go depending on the health of the part itself.

But there is a major downside to the GN swap and that is they are very difficult to come across in avalabitly so finding parts for them is going to be a challenege and if you do chances are its going to be very expensive especially if your thinking about the 87 model.

The LS1 is also a very pricy powerplant but a good one to use but you'll have a ton of work to do especially if the car is already completed everything will have to come off the chassis for more mockup work.

3800Supercharged isn't a bad choice for the fiero or any fiero based kits, its a great choice that delivers power and reliablitly together plus its dirt cheap and somewhat easy to install.

Since you say you got the V6 there are options for these engines out there like a turbo charger, exhaust, headders, cam and such it really depends on what your looking to do.

Hope it helps.

Jump to: