Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 69 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimboOffline
Post subject: Dunlap SP Sport 8000 tires  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 - 11:45 PM

My rear tires Dunlap SP Sport 8000 335/35/17 are terribal. Last year when my car was first inspected it had 56 miles on it and my tires measured a 9/32 in tread depth. I have 2019 miles on the car and they now are at 3/32 of a inch and it has to be 2/32 to pass inspection. Needless to say they are still legal but about shot. They are wearing perfetcly even across so it is not an alignment issue. I took it to a different tire store than I bought them from and that aligned it so I would have a neutral opinion. They are also unbeleivabley loud at highway speeds. I am waiting to see if Dunlap will stand behind them or not my guess is not since I have had them for about 7 years. Kinda needed them to build the car and make sure I was aligning things correctly. I just thought I would warn against purchasing them because you wont be getting your monies worth from them. Also I still have the Fiero engine in so you know I wasnt burning the rubber off of them and I havent tracked the car just driving around town and to car shows. On the front I have Dunlap 9000 series tires and they are like new wearing straight and I love them.

Thanks for listning
Jimbo

Last edited by Jimbo on Feb 19, 2011 - 02:37 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: Dunlap SP Sport 8000 tires  PostPosted: Nov 08, 2010 - 01:47 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I will stay away from Dunlop but can you look at the lower control arm bushings where they meet the frame. These are soft rubber. I changed a friends out to homemade UHMD plastic bushings...huge improvement.
When I had my Countach on a Fiero I noticed that the wheel would move forward when letting out the clutch. I installed a 5/8" threaded rod with ball joints from the front of the engine cradle to the out part of the lower control arm. This allowed suspension travel and stopped the wheel from going out of alignment under throttle up conditions.

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2010 - 02:12 AM

Great news. Dunlop reviewed the tires and they are going to replace them. The local tire store looked over everything and talked to Dunlop and they said even though they are 7 year old tires and only had a 6 year warranty they would cover them. I had to call and explain to them why I had them so long with no miles on them and they were ok with it. I had my inspection receipt from last year with 54 miles on the car and 9/32 on all 4 tires and that helped them make the decision.

The only problem is that Dunlop / Goodyear doesnt make 335/35/17 tires any more so they cant just give me replacements. Has anyone put 315/35/17 on their car? If so how do they fit on the 12" rims? According to Tire Rack.com they will fit I just wonder how they look on the rims and in the wheel wells.

Any other tires that will fit?

Thanks
Jimbo

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2011 - 03:05 AM

I finally got my new tires today. I got the Michelin Pilot Sport and they are nice tires. Luckly eventhough it is the middle of Feb it was 70 degrees today so I got to go for a ride. Very Happy They are much quieter than the Dunlop and they seem to have a much better ride.

I dont know why Dunlop drug their feet in getting me reimbursed. The customer service person I talked to was not very pleasent on the phone either. Mad All I know is that Dunlop tires have failed me two times now and I will not buy them again.

Jim Dinner I am putting in Poly cradle mount bushings and I'm going to see what else I can stiffen up in the cradle (thanks for the advice) and might add a trailing arm to the cradle.

Jump to: