Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 58 unlogged users and 2 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
QusoOffline
Post subject: Will Honda accord tranny work?  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hey guys I have a question I'm building a kit car an I have a problem choosing a transmission Porsche tranny to expensive Audi hard to find but Pontiac g6 manual is cheap and easy to find but I need some kind of kit to fit it any v8 engine which is expensive or needs heavy mod. Now can I use Honda accord tranny???? For engine I would get 3L hondas engine with turbo

Ps chassis is being build with chassis works plans

Thanks
Arthur

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: Re: Will Honda accord tranny work?  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011 - 02:48 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Quso wrote:
Hey guys I have a question I'm building a kit car an I have a problem choosing a transmission Porsche tranny to expensive Audi hard to find but Pontiac g6 manual is cheap and easy to find but I need some kind of kit to fit it any v8 engine which is expensive or needs heavy mod. Now can I use Honda accord tranny???? For engine I would get 3L hondas engine with turbo

Ps chassis is being build with chassis works plans

Thanks
Arthur

You could it but you would need to modify the engine bay heavily. There is not enough room to mount the motor and transmission transversely. The engine bay is designed for the driveline to be mounted longitudinally. I think your biggest issue will be with the upper rear control arms.
Do some measuring first before you put money into the Honda setup.

nicopatternoOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Will Honda accord tranny work?  PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 09:16 AM

I think this may require building a space frame to make the tranny fit! Every part has its unique setup.

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 01:30 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Honda engines rotate backwards from most other engines so you will be limited to using the Honda engine with the Honda transmission.

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 02:31 PM
KitCentral Fellow

If the Honda engine rotates "backwards" (I didn't kow that) then if you used a Porsche transmission you wouldn't have to reverse the ring gear. That's assuming you could find an adapter setup. That's obviously an over-simplification but it does open interesting lines of thought.

Don
Building a 6.0

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2011 - 07:26 PM
KitCentral Fellow

If you were to mount the Honda engine to a Porsche transmission you could run it right side up rather than inverting it (if it is a transmission from a rear engine car) but that gets you into some other problems. You would be running on the back side of the ring and pinion and that would not last long and all of the other gears in the transmission would be running backwards which would put the thrust forces in the opposite direction from what there designed for.

The Honda 4 cylinders rotate backwards but I don't know about their V6 engines.

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 05:01 AM
KitCentral Fellow

EAMartin,
I may be wrong but it seems to me that running the ring gear and pinion backwards should not be a problem. The Porsche transaxle has straight gears, not helical or hypoid, so they should run in either direction equally well. The rest of the gears are turning the same direction as in any other lonitudinal SBC drive train. The bearings, of course, don't care which way they turn. What am I missing?

Don
Building a 6.0

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 12:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

The crown ring and pinion will be the only issue. The pinion is normally trying to push away from the crown under load. If it ran the other direction it would want to pull it into the crown and there are no thrust bearings for the shaft with that load on it.
I think it would have a short life.
There is a picture of the ring and pinion near the bottom of this page.

http://www.californiamotorsports.net/G50%205%20speed.htm

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2011 - 03:53 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I recall seeing a picture of a Tx with straight gears that purported to be from a 915. with straight gears the pinion thrust would be away from the ring gear regardles of the direction of rotation.
The pics on the CMS site show helical gears (my bad) and, of course, Jim is correct about the direction of the pinion thrust.
Always something to learn, thanks Jim.

Don
Building a 6.0

Jump to: