Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 65 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 03:48 AM

76mx wrote:
I have been an Afco dealer for some time and have six of those double-adjustable in stock, $325 each. Usually you can get them from Summit and get free shipping and come out better, it will not hurt my feelings.

I will so buy them from you, just for the help. I have an awesome account with a shipping company, so free shipping isn't a big deal to me. Let me take some pics of my mounts tomorrow so we can be sure they will fit what I have on this car. If I get a front weight can you recommend a spring that will give me a comfortable ride? I will never track this vehicle.

Reply with quote Back to top
76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 04:56 AM

Thank you, now you are going to get a lot more help. While taking the pictures, also measure the eye to eye of the shock mounts when the car is at ride height. This is very important.

RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 06:01 AM

76mx wrote:
Thank you, now you are going to get a lot more help. While taking the pictures, also measure the eye to eye of the shock mounts when the car is at ride height. This is very important.

Awesome! I will try to get that measurement for you. I will need to put it up on a rack or something, since when it's on the ground I won't be able to get under it to take that measurement. I know some people that have lifts. It might take a day or so though. Thanks again.

Rick

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 03:58 PM

In that case, let us do this right, it might be good info for the Forum. When you put it on the rack, make sure that the tires do not just hang down, it is very important that they be at ride height for the measurement. Also, while you are under there, check for a swaybar. Get a rough diameter and lever arm length. This is critical for spring calculation and mostly goes ignored. A big bar allows a softer spring with softer ride without sacrificing any performance. Check the angle to vertical for the shock. This does not have to be accurate and a $5 Angle Dangler from Harbor freight will work fine. Then finally get a dimension from the inner ball joint to the lower shock mount and then from there to the outer ball joint. Are you starting to see why a 500lb shock on this car is nowhere close to a 500lb shock on that car?

RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 05:57 PM

Ok, I got all but the weight. I was able to turn the wheel enough to get behind it. I took pictures of how I measured it, hopefully it was adequate.

http://imgur.com/a/vAcyh

Note the top mount, hopefully that's the type of shock you have available. You mentioned eyelet to eyelet.

Diameter of Torsion bar .864"
Torsion Bar Lever Arm Distance: 8"
Angle to vertical of shock: ~20 degrees sprung
Inner Ball Joint to shock mount: 7.5"
Inner Ball Joint to Outer Joint: 10.5"
Sprung Height: 8"

I'll take it to the scale on my lunch break for weights. Thanks Again!
Rick

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 06:53 PM

Excellent! Here is the first observation: It is a good thing you did not already order shocks, they will not fit. The fully compressed length of a 5" travel shock is 11.18" eye to eye. We have already established that a 4" travel will not allow enough spring length but even a 3" travel shock is still 9.32" eye to eye when fully compressed. Are you sure about that 8" eye to eye dimension?

RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2016 - 09:49 PM

76mx wrote:
Excellent! Here is the first observation: It is a good thing you did not already order shocks, they will not fit. The fully compressed length of a 5" travel shock is 11.18" eye to eye. We have already established that a 4" travel will not allow enough spring length but even a 3" travel shock is still 9.32" eye to eye when fully compressed. Are you sure about that 8" eye to eye dimension?

If you look at pic #4 in the album I linked above you can see me measuring it at 8". The top shock mount doesn't have an 'eye' so to speak. I measured it from where the top of the spring and the shocks threaded/rod/nut combination bolts into the shock tower. I thought this thing I bought from RCC in your city was a pretty standard Fiero extension to the stock lambo width.

BTW, I got the weight. It's 1510 on the front and 2120 on the rear. I gotta swap that cast iron 283 for some LS3 love or at least a lighter engine.

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2016 - 02:30 AM

Yes, I saw that and it looked like 8" to me too. I know a little about shocks and suspension but I have never seen anything like that before, I have just now learned that Afco makes a 4" spring, and that those little shocks are for replacing Mac-Struts. I had never heard of it before, let me call them tomorrow and get the story on it.

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2016 - 02:40 AM

Rickpage,
Give me one more day to get the story. I spent all of today glueing a chassis together, had to work quick and long to keep the glue from curing too fast, and I am wore out.

RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2016 - 06:38 AM

76mx wrote:
Rickpage,
Give me one more day to get the story. I spent all of today glueing a chassis together, had to work quick and long to keep the glue from curing too fast, and I am wore out.

No worries, I value your input and am willing to wait. I'm thinking about buying some new springs and checking it out. Least expensive option. If you look at the pictures, you can see that to get the ride height I had to move the 'adjustment' way up on the shock. I see what you mean by how much compression is left in those springs before they can't compress anymore. If I went from the 300# springs to 500# springs I'd have to adjust the coil on the shock way down to keep the same ride height. That would give me more shock travel. Do you have springs that I could buy and try? I think they are like 2.5" ID and maybe 8" unsprung. I could lift it up and verify the unsprung height.

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 13, 2016 - 04:35 AM

RickPage,
That will NOT give you more shock travel, it stays exactly the same. Even if it did, it will take travel out of the other direction. I know a little about shocks and springs, but that size is totally foreign to me. The only thing that Afco has anywhere close to this is a "Stack" spring that is 4" high. It is used on top of an 8" spring. When the lesser rated 8" fully compresses, then the heavier rated 4" spring begins to compress, giving a progressive spring rate. I have plenty of springs for you to try but none of them to fit your shock. An 8" spring is not going to fit on an 8" shock. All of the basic principals are the same, and I can help you with that, but I have no idea what to tell you about shocks and springs for that eye to eye dimension. The only thing I find is a Micro-Midget shock.

RickPageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 18, 2016 - 09:26 PM

76mx wrote:
RickPage,
That will NOT give you more shock travel, it stays exactly the same. Even if it did, it will take travel out of the other direction.

I misspoke, I didn't mean shock travel. I meant spring travel. I'm bumping up against a fully compressed spring, not shock. If I got a 500lb 8" spring I could move the adjustment down and keep the same ride height and get more spring travel. I get it about the shock being in the same place/extension at the same ride height. An 8" spring will fit on that shock when it's fully extended. Eyelet to eyelet height was 8" under full load. With the wheel off the ground, there is 8" between the top eyelet and the adjustment collar at it's lowest adjustment. Do you happen to have any 8" 500lb coil over springs? If not, I'll jump on Jegs or Summit and get them on order. Thanks again for all your help. I'm not sure this will fix my problem, but for $100 it's worth a shot.

Jump to: