Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 75 unlogged users and 1 registered user online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 - 09:38 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi Simon, are you running unleaded fuel the plugs will be black with that stuff, as I said earlier with by M70 it was smoking badly at idle, and I hope the sump gasket has sorted that , another suggestion was made to me to check the PCV valves as they are known to fail and cause smoke. If you think its lean you could have blocked fuel filters but not all the cars have them where you would expect, I still have not seen mine, they could be under the rear wheel inner liner, I would check the fuel pressure with a guage it should be about 43-45 lbs where it goes to the 2 fuel rails to check my injectors where going I lifted up the fuel rail injectors and all ,then out of the intakes and then wound it over to check the spray pattern
regards
Graeme

Reply with quote Back to top
TriggsyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 - 10:44 PM

Hi Graeme,

Yes, using unleaded fuel. The plugs vary in colour so not consistent, perhaps a sympton of dirty injectors varying the fuel to each cylinder. I replaced the PCV valves a couple of weeks ago and tested the fuel pressure at the weekend. It was bang on 3 bar (43.5 psi) and raised a bit when i disconnected the vacuum pipes so they are working fine according to the Bentley manual. I'm going to test the injectors the way you mention, that should give me a clue.

One other thing i thought of was the pedal sensor. All i have done is bolt it behind my pedals and fabricated a simple linkage to move it when the pedal moves. I can't remember how it was fitted on the 750, do you know if there is an idle stop or anything like that?

The other thing i did check was the spark which should be bright blue. I was getting a mix of orange and blue on the one plug i tested. I'm thinking of replacing the leads anyway as they are so old but they are expensive so only want to do that if i'm certain they are causing a problem.

Thanks again for your help
Simon

lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 05, 2016 - 11:34 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi Simon did you ever find the cause of your problem.
regards
Graeme

TriggsyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 13, 2016 - 10:54 PM

Hi Graeme,

Apologies, i totally forgot to come back and update this.

I never got to the bottom of it so ended up fitting an aftermarket ECU (Emerald). Interestingly i had to convert the throttle bodies from electric to manual and i had a similar issue until i balanced the throttle bodies.

Maybe the DK motors weren't synching properly but now with the new ECU i also get more power (366bhp) and the ability to tune it and play around a bit.

Regards
Simon

lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 - 12:45 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Good news Simon, Do you have any details about converting the DK's to manual. I believe that one must be retained to give feedback to the system like a tps, did the replacement ecu have any issues to setup, does it come with a map for the m70 or do you have to start from scratch, and the bigger question is it a mission to wire in, and what sort of cost are we looking at all up lol

lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 - 12:48 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Good news Simon, Do you have any details about converting the DK's to manual. I believe that one must be retained to give feedback to the system like a tps, did the replacement ecu have any issues to setup, does it come with a map for the m70 or do you have to start from scratch, and the bigger question is it a mission to wire in, and what sort of cost are we looking at all up lol

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 - 03:15 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Jim Dinner went through similar, he sad that the manual TB's were a LOT simpler to deal with

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

TriggsyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi Graeme,

I removed the motor armature and casing (and a cog I seem to remember) to just leave the housing with the spindle assembly. Next was to weld on a rectangular strip of stainless steel with a hole in the end to take a ball joint. I fitted an aftermarket TPS (from a Rover car I believe) by drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the throttle body and fitted a small aluminium adaptor on the end of the spindle to fit in the TPS.

I fitted a bar across the back of the engine secured with bearings to the inlet manifold ends and then had a rod each side of the engine attached to this at one end and the throttle body at the other. From there I ran a cable to the centre tunnel and fabricated a metal lever assembly to connect it to the pedal.

The above sounds complicated but it was pretty straightforward if a little time consuming.

In terms of wiring it needs less than the BMW system. Total connections are;

TPS
12v switched live
Tacho
Air temp sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel pump relay
Crank Sensor
Ignitions coils 1 and 2
Injectors (wired in pairs)
Earths

Cost of ECU was about 700 GBP. It came with a preloaded map that worked pretty well with only minor tweaks needed. See their website here

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

The TPS was about 25GBP and then it was bearings, cable and bits of metal. Prob another 50GBP or so.

Iím happy to send you pics if that helps.

Cheers
Simon

TriggsyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 14, 2016 - 09:33 PM

Hi Adrian,

Jim is right, the manual TB's may seem like a step backwards compared to modern electronics but they are easy to set up and adjust.

Cheers
Simon

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2016 - 03:12 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I'm not knowledgeable about aftermarket ECU systems. I looked at the website you provided and it appears that the Emerald K6 is designed for a 6 cylinder engine. Did you have to use two ECU's, one for each cylinder bank (similar to what BMW did originally)?

TriggsyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 17, 2016 - 05:46 PM

daywilm wrote:
I'm not knowledgeable about aftermarket ECU systems. I looked at the website you provided and it appears that the Emerald K6 is designed for a 6 cylinder engine. Did you have to use two ECU's, one for each cylinder bank (similar to what BMW did originally)?

Only 1 ECU needed. See the FAQ section where it mentions 12 cylinders can be run as either batch fired or semi sequential (not that i know much about them either).

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/faq

lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2016 - 07:26 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Triggsy wrote:
Hi Graeme,

I removed the motor armature and casing (and a cog I seem to remember) to just leave the housing with the spindle assembly. Next was to weld on a rectangular strip of stainless steel with a hole in the end to take a ball joint. I fitted an aftermarket TPS (from a Rover car I believe) by drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the throttle body and fitted a small aluminium adaptor on the end of the spindle to fit in the TPS.

I fitted a bar across the back of the engine secured with bearings to the inlet manifold ends and then had a rod each side of the engine attached to this at one end and the throttle body at the other. From there I ran a cable to the centre tunnel and fabricated a metal lever assembly to connect it to the pedal.

The above sounds complicated but it was pretty straightforward if a little time consuming.

In terms of wiring it needs less than the BMW system. Total connections are;

TPS
12v switched live
Tacho
Air temp sensor
Coolant temp sensor
Fuel pump relay
Crank Sensor
Ignitions coils 1 and 2
Injectors (wired in pairs)
Earths

Cost of ECU was about 700 GBP. It came with a preloaded map that worked pretty well with only minor tweaks needed. See their website here

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

The TPS was about 25GBP and then it was bearings, cable and bits of metal. Prob another 50GBP or so.

Iím happy to send you pics if that helps.

Cheers
Simon

Thanks Simon it sounds fairly straight forward I will investigate further. that's not a lot wires compared to BMW

C3FerrariV12Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 07, 2016 - 10:23 PM

Hi Guys. I stumbled on this discussion, and have an alternative with regards to the throttle body switch. I am installing a M73 V12 into my Ferrari Daytona replica, and will be using the MegaSquirt MS3 Pro ECU. Like the Emerald ECU, it is incapable of controlling the DK motors, so I had to find a manual throttle body to use. I found out that the throttle bodies used in the BMW M30 series engines can be easily modified to bolt onto the stock V12 intake. All I had to do was to elongate the holes very slightly to account for the different bolt pattern used on the M30 manifold. An added bonus is that the throttle plates on the M30 throttles are about 10mm larger in diameter. More Power! Wink

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 12, 2016 - 02:55 PM
KitCentral Fellow

C3

Have you installed your MS3 yet???

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Jump to: