Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 42 unlogged users and 1 registered user online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TripleWhiteCountachOffline
Post subject: V8 or V12 Countach  PostPosted: Jul 03, 2017 - 02:04 PM

Hi All

I am new to all this so please forgive my lack of knowledge in regards to kits. Currently I am looking at getting myself into a nice replica, however, I am at a loss about the powerplant. Most of you guys seem to run V8's, is there any logical reason for this over a V12?

1. I have had a look around the net at replica's and have seen one with a V12 however they have lengthened the body to do so, this to me looks crap! I have been told I CAN get a V12 into the standard replica length body, but at what cost (not talking $ but where do the extra 4 cylinders go?)

2. V12 Engines available. I believe BMW make a nice reliable 12, MB also do a 12 and I have recently seen a Toyota V12. What opinions do you all have about these engines and my venture into V12's, any other motor suggestions?

3. Are there any pitfalls with my current path of 12 over 8?

Thanks in advance for any advice supplied.

Regards

Paul

Reply with quote Back to top
76mxOffline
Post subject: RE: V8 or V12 Countach  PostPosted: Jul 04, 2017 - 12:51 AM

TWC,
Yes, there is a big pitfall. It is not the initial cost of the engine, it is not that the other two banks of cylinders have to go somewhere (usually into an already cramped cockpit), it is the support systems for a V-12. Ceramic coated small block headers bolt right on and they are $100 a pair. V-12 headers will have to be fabricated from scratch and will cost at least ten times that and hundreds more hours. Multiply this example by ten others to get a good picture.

88.5countachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2017 - 03:15 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Agree with Charlie, its resources, these things are not easy to build (not that I did) and take a long time. Doing a v12 just compounds the time to the finish line. My suggestion is get as close as you can to what you want. You can always have something built/altered or finished to what you want...... or do it yourself it you have the resources. I think all of us would agree the v12 is the ultimate goal for a Countach. That was my thought when I bought mine but after you have it, I'd rather drive it and use it than tear it apart. At least at this moment anyways, never know down the road....

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 05, 2017 - 05:17 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Welcome to the forum

I think from a packaging standpoint, the BMW fits the best, but the Merc has more power potential, the Jag 12 is way to big and heavy.

The BMW and audi combo has successfully been used in the countach .

I will have to agree with the previous comments though, get as complete a car possible, whether you are building a car, like what 76MX sells, or buy a partial or fully built car

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Jump to: