Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 60 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daywilmOffline
Post subject: V-12 Moisture Issues  PostPosted: Jun 30, 2012 - 09:34 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Any of you guys that are using the BMW V-12 have issues with getting the engine to run properly when it gets wet? I have a 1990 750il that I bought to use the engine in my roadster build and normally it runs great. But if I take it to the carwash and wash the engine compartment it will barely start and seems to go into limp mode. A few months ago my radiator blew out and before I could get it back home it had completely soaked the engine compartment. I replaced the radiatoir but I could barely get it to start and it wouldn't run worth a crap. I didn't have time to work on it for a couple of months and last night I thought I'd just try to start it and see what happened. To my surprise it fired right up and I took it out for a spin. It ran like a champ. I suppose sitting in the 100+ heat for awhile dried it out. Any ideas where I should start to look for the problem? I assume it must be an issue with getting the electrics wet but which part? I'd like to be able to wash the engine once in awhile.

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: V-12 Moisture Issues  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 - 12:02 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Don't wash the engine. I see people do it all the time but my recommendation is to never wash your engine unless you plan on taking things apart.
Your problem will most likely be the ignition wires or distributor caps.
Ignition wires arc out when they are wet if there is a problem with them. Run the engine in the dark and spray small amounts of water on the wires, you will probably have a light show.

dleachOffline
Post subject: RE: V-12 Moisture Issues  PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 - 01:51 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I know this will not be an epiphany for anyone but, I always wrap the distributor and coil with Saranwrap. It seems to work well. I have washed the engine one several different types of engine without undo difficulty. Occasionally it is necessary to remove the distributor cap and dry out some water inside. I always try to take it easy in the area around electrical components. Depends on the engine type I guess.

Don
Building a 6.0

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 - 03:39 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks guys. I guess it all depends on the engine. I have a Honda that I can spray down intensely and it starts right up but I've also had other cars that would start hard. This is the first one that REALLY started hard and then wouldn't run worth a crap after getting it started. I think I'll just refrain from washing it. Once I get it in the Roadster I may cover things up like you mention and take the dust off it once a year.
Thanks again.

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 01, 2012 - 04:33 PM
KitCentral Fellow

and of course you can spray the inside of the cap with wire displacement version 40 also know as WD-40

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Jump to: