Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 73 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CCIEOffline
Post subject: 88 Fiero engine cradle in a 86 Fiero  PostPosted: Jul 19, 2012 - 07:27 PM
KitCentral Fellow

All....

Has anyone dropped a 88 Fiero engine cradle in a 86 Fiero?
I am about to do a v8 engine swap and have a 88 engine cradle I want to use, I know the struts wont line up. What have you done to make the struts line up and what else is involved. Is there a build diary or any pic available? I am also going to swap out the Fiero 3 speed auto traini with the Isuzu 5 speed Traini. What all is involved in the swap (traini mounts cables ect). Also if anyone is interested in doing a swap for me please shoot me an email I am in central OH. The

Thanks again
CCIE
yusha_2000@yahoo.com

Reply with quote Back to top
dleachOffline
Post subject: RE: 88 Fiero engine cradle in a 86 Fiero  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 04:56 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Yusha,
Pennock's Fiero Forum has a ton of build diaries on various engine tranny combinations for Fieros. Also, V8 Archie (isn't he located near you, Indiana, I think)
What kind of v8? The Isuzu 5 speed in not known for its strength.

Don
Building a 6.0

CCIEOffline
Post subject: 88 Fiero engine cradle in a 86 Fiero  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 09:46 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Hello Don,

Thank you for responding... The engine is a Corvette SBC350 TPI, I have the Archie v8 kit and yes Archie is about 200 or so miles from me (not too far)
V8 install is not the issue; I was wondering what is all required to drop a 1988 Fiero engine cradle in a 1986 Fiero. The reason for the ISUZU is I couldn’t find a getrag 5 speed traini locally. I also have a Porsche 914 traini as well but it is more complex in my already built Top Junk Diablo Roadster. For the past 4 years I have all sort of plans but haven’t came close to finishing my project so I am going the most simplest route that still gives me my requirements.
A local shop is going to drop the 88 engine cradle with the v8 setup for me (since I am starting to travel more for work with less time for play) I wanted to get as much info up front as I could. Any assistance is greatly appreciated

Thanks
Yusha

dleachOffline
Post subject: RE: 88 Fiero engine cradle in a 86 Fiero  PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 12:58 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Yusha,
What modifications did you make to your Porsche transaxle to use it in your roadster? Who did the work? I am still trying to find someone local to modify my Porsche 915 transaxle so that I can use it with my LS1.
Oh wait, I just remembered, the 914 is already a mid-engine transaxle.
Anyway, noone local will do the work for me, not even the custom Porsche guys. I hate to send it to Phoenix.
Good luck on your Fiero project.

Don
Building a 6.0

RUNDLCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 20, 2012 - 05:59 PM
KitCentral Fellow

@ Don, I don't think you are going to have much choice, as I understand it the guys in Arizona are the closest to us. They are PRICEY but you can take comfort in knowing that your tranny will not be left on the road while speed shifting!! OH wait can't speed shift one of those.

@Yusha, you need to get the parts for the shock towers, check on pennocks those guys can direct you to the needed parts.

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2012 - 03:09 AM
KitCentral Fellow

That's what I've been afraid of Carthan. There is another shop in Havasu City (a spinoff from Renegade I think) but their prices are about the same. Do you have any idea what it would cost to ship the transaxle to Phoenix?

Don
Building a 6.0

rodrieguzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2012 - 02:35 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I have an 88 cradle in a 87 fiero.

The shock towers need a small mod to relocster the strut bolt & the 88 cradle is solide mounted vs the bushings found in the earlier fieros. Got my strut relocation parts from heldmotorsports. Not sure if they're still around.

Rod

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?set_albumName=Rod-s-roadster-build&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Jump to: