Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 47 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2014 - 10:16 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

There is a new time-limited offer for my Govedo chassis plans, which is a lower pre-order price for students only, set at 400 US Dollars or 300 Euros. Pre-order price for non-students remains the same at 450 US Dollars or 340 Euros. *Final price (after expiration of the pre-order period) will be 500 US Dollars or 380 Euros.

Bottom of the engine cradle was fully redesigned, to help improve the performance of the rear suspension and add stiffness to the engine bay structure.

Customers of the EU version of the chassis plans will receive a major update with over 30 new plans tomorrow. US customers already got this update previously, but now is time to make up on the EU side.

Reply with quote Back to top
BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 21, 2014 - 10:36 PM
KitCentral Fellow

For some reason private messaging is not working (or at least I can't see my sent messages in the sentbox), even though I can receive messages from other members. If somebody didn't received my reply, please, send me a PM with your e-mail address included so that I can reply there. Thanks!

Edit: I got my PM box working in last days. Everything is OK now.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 21, 2014 - 06:07 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- I'm close to complete this project, having most of the chassis plans nearly finished, and remaining ones require minor fixes and details to be added. Areas to be finished are for the rear suspension, rear bumper frame, sheet metal, some metal plates, door frame and door hinge. Once I'm ready with these, printing of the final chassis plans and composing a tutorial DVD will start in January 2014. Still looking for the best option for good quality and price ratio.

- The current lower pre-order price (450 US Dollars or 340 Euros) has expiration date on 31th December 2014. Starting the regular price (500 US Dollars or 380 Euros) from 1st January 2015.

- Front area next to the suspension A-arms is reinforced with 4 extra tubes to provide better small overlap frontal impact resistance. This addition vastly improves the safety when the car is being hit at either side.

- A new way to create the A2-pillar* framing, in order to allow better visibility and customized shape depending on your body kit. *(the pillar that's located between the front quarter window and the door window of Lamborghini Aventador or Finnluxury Tritium)

- I re-designed the engine cradle mounting points and increased the total number from 6 to 8. Now they consist of 45-degree cone-shaped metal inserts. Originally, I was using laser cut metal plates as mounting points, but the newer design have the following advantages:
1) It allows self-centering of the mounting points to the correct position as the engine cradle is being raised towards the chassis.
2) It provides increased larger contact area, hence less pressure taken by the mounting points (and lower chance to damage the paint in between).
3) It unloads at least 90-95% of the stress usually transferred to the mounting bolts.
4) There is no more chance for sideways bending compared to metal plate version, because the mounting points are now solid cones and integrated in the tubes.
5) It has a better rust protection, thanks to the raised cones and closed cap design.
6) If looks more discreet.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 19, 2015 - 11:52 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

1. After some improvements on key areas I'm revisiting certain old tube plans that were slightly affected of the new changes. In the following days I will send update with a whole new set of plans to chassis builders.

2. The lower engine cradle mountings were completely redesigned to increase the strength, and use shorter screws now.

3. There are a few changes with the naming of the chassis plans, where the part's main letter helps to better understand the position of the respective tube, sheet or machined part. The new names are as follows (I also include the progress on them I made, marked in the [] brackets):
A - Floor level [fully completed]
B - Bumpers [half completed]
C - Engine cradle [fully completed]
D - Door frames and hinges [not yet started]
E - Engine bay [fully completed]
F - Front end [fully completed]
R - Roof roll-cage [half completed]
S - Sides of the cockpit [fully completed]
T - Central Tunnel [fully completed]
W - Firewall [fully completed]

M* - Metal sheets and plates [half completed]
MP - Machined parts (mostly made with a turner machine) [half completed]
ST - Suspension tubes [half completed]

*The "M" sheets or plates will consist one or two additional letters, depending on the position relative to the section of the chassis. For example, a metal plate used for suspension A-arm will be named like MST, whereas a metal sheet used in the firewall will be named MW.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2015 - 03:28 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- The front bumper have been redesigned to increase the structural strength. There are five new tubes and lots of metal plates added to secure the frontal impact members. This also makes the front bumper stronger for when skid beam rollers are installed underneath.

- Six tubes in the feet and dashboard area were slightly redesigned to simplify the tube cutting, and two extra tubes were added to the engine cradle.

- The ST (suspension tubes) plans are renamed just SP (suspension), for easier understanding while reading the abbreviations.

- Metal plates for the A2 roof pillars (before the door glasses) were improved with fixed mounting holes, hence the positioning and welding of these should be easier.

- Due to the recent big changes in the currency exchange rate between the falling Euro and stronger US Dollar, the cost of Govedo chassis plans is updated as follows: a) Pre-order is 400 US Dollars or 380 Euros; door hinge 3d CAD file is included for free. b) Regular price is 500 US Dollars or 470 Euros; door hinge 3d CAD file is optional for extra 100 USD or 80 EUR.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2015 - 10:26 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- The MP (machined parts) drawings for the EU version of the chassis are now fully completed, the US ones are next to do;

- All front suspension mounting points and lower A-arm were modified to match the recent changes in the frontal chassis reinforcement;

- Ready with the list of approximate lengths of all tube types used in the chassis (except for the moving parts like suspension arms and door frames; these are still not finalized). It's worth mentioning that you should consider a bit more material, because tube profiles are usually supplied in common lengths of 6 metres in Europe or 20 feet in USA, hence several pieces cut from such a long profile will leave some waste material. For example, if you need two pieces of 2900 mm each, that will leave almost 200 mm unused (6000-5800=200). After I complete all tube plans, I will probably create a more detailed list where each piece is set roughly 10-15 mm extra long and nested in the most appropriate way, so that you can use quick straight cuts to divide any large tube profile into the desired number of smaller pieces, then use the latter to cut the final shape of the respective chassis tubes with the necessary cut angle and shape. Recommended tube wall thicknesses for the square and rectangular tubes are 2 mm for the EU chassis and 0.83" for the US chassis; round tubes have different wall thicknesses depending on the usage and placement. Lengths for the EU and US chassis tubes by tube type are as follows:
square tube 20x20 mm / 0.75x0.75" - 37.2 metres / 122 feet total;
square tube 40x40 / 1.5x1.5" - 30.1 metres / 99 feet total;
rectangular tube 40x20 mm / 1.5x0.75" - 50.9 metres / 167 feet total (1.5x0.75" could be replaced with 1.5x1", depending on which one is available);
rectangular tube 80x40 mm / 3x1.5" - 4.5 metres / 14.8 feet total;
round tube 41.3x6.8 mm / 1.625"- 5.6 metres / 18.4 feet total (most appropriate US tube wall thickness not yet considered);
round tube 33.7x2.65 mm - 5.2 metres / 17 feet total (most appropriate US tube wall thickness not yet considered).

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 29, 2015 - 10:09 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- There is a change in the front suspension's coil-over. Previously, my Govedo chassis was supposed to use 14" QA1 coil-overs (part #DS502, Poly bushing). However, after taking exact measurements from various actual coil-overs, and considering that poly bushing mountings are nearly impossible to replace by builders with no special equipment, I figured out that the 10" QA1 coil-over with bearing mountings (part #DS301, Bearing bushing) is a lot better solution for this application. It also has a very limited travel from compressed to extended height, which is also important since the front wheels must not go too deep into the wheel wells. Here, you can check the specifications of the DS301 QA1 coil-overs:
http://www.qa1.net/suspension/street-performance-racing-shocks-struts-and-pro-coil-systems/custom-mount-shocks/proma-star/proma-star-single-adjustable
Having that said, I recommend use of the QA1 DS301 coil-overs. Of course, other brand for coil-overs could be used, if modifications to the chassis and suspension mounting points are made.

- For European customers (and everyone who use Metric system), there is the option to use QA1 rod ends with Metric size thread instead of Imperial size thread which is used in the US chassis plans. I do additional plans for the machined parts that will use rod ends in either thread measurement systems. In a future update, I will post links to the exact model of EU thread size QA1 rod ends. The US model is QA1 XMR10-12: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hal-xmr-10-12/overview/

- I made improvements in the four metal plates that will hold the roof roll-cage tubes. Also, the B-pillar will now be attached 10 mm further towards the front end, in order to allow better visibility through the rear quarter window.

- The current progress of the EU and both US chassis plans is as follows:
B - Bumper [fully completed]
D - Door frames and hinges [not yet started]
R - Roof roll-cage [half completed, near finishing]
MP - Machined parts [half completed]
SP - Suspension tubes [front completed, rear not yet ready]

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2015 - 08:22 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- Fine tuning the rear suspension, sending (SP) plans tomorrow. Front suspension to follow next after figuring out the lower ball joint.

- Roof plans (R) almost ready as well.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 15, 2015 - 02:19 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- The front and rear lower A-arms were fully re-designed. Now they use a larger and 30% more durable heavy duty lower ball joint with 4 mounting bolts. Up until now my suspension design was based on a smaller ball joint with 3 mounting bolts;

- Front upper toe link rods were slightly extended while preserving the mounting holes on both ends where the QA1 rod ends are installed.

- Main roof tube along the roof line (from A1-pillar through the roof up to the C-pillar) have been slightly modified to add 3 mm wider visibility at each side of the windshield. As a result, this also reduced the head room by 6 mm;

- The A2-pillar is now made from three laser cut metal plates instead of the previously used constant-radius bent tube. The metal plate will allow for tighter fit to the body, hence a better visibility is achieved through the front quarter window;

- Rear bumper support frame is fully designed, complete with removable mounting points in case that the builder needs to take apart the removable engine cradle sitting next to it;

- Most of the sheet metal enclosing the cabin area is already designed.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 24, 2015 - 08:34 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- All the roof tubes and six roof mounting plates are now re-designed for improved visibility through the front windshield and rear quarter windows. Upper tube that connects both A-pillars have been raised with 15 mm to clear as much space as possible for the interior roof pillar covers. This modification also makes the welded joints stronger.

- Along with the heavy duty European "Meyle" lower ball joint, there is an optional alternative "Mevotech" ball joint for the US builders which is slightly smaller but a lot more affordable. This makes it possible to opt for a US-spec chassis plans with either EU suspension plans or US suspension plans:
a) EU chassis with EU suspension ("Meyle" lower ball joints - can be found for 26-30 Euros per unit, available in Europe);
b) US chassis with EU suspension ("Meyle" lower ball joints - can be found for 26-30 Euros per unit, available in Europe);
c) US chassis with US suspension ("Mevotech" lower ball joints - can be found for 14 US Dollars per unit, available in USA).
Both ball joints are bolt-on type for easier installation and maintenance without the need of special tools and/or use of excessive force with hammer.

- Pre-order discount price has expired as the design is at final stage now. A single license and chassis plans for my Govedo chassis costs 500 US Dollars or 440 Euros* (price in Euros may vary after some time depending on the uncertain currency exchange rate).

P.S.: I would like to thank Glenn (LP700-4 from MM) for his great help with taking exact measurements from the "Mevotech" ball joint. This is what makes our community special.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2015 - 07:53 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- Some metal plates of the front and rear lower A-arms were redesigned for higher strength and to be able to couple with one of two different lower ball joints depending on the builder's preference and/or region location. If you opt for one of the ball joints type, you can not use the other type, and vice versa. Also, it's now possible to attach mounting points for the sway bars' toe links on either side of the front and rear lower A-arms.

- As the suspension layout is now completed, I have an exact estimate for the total number of QA1 XMR 10-12 rod ends required. Each wheel will use 7 rod ends, so 28 numbers total. Optionally, two of these rod ends could be replaced with the cheaper alternative QA1 XMR 8-10 and used to connect the toe links of the rack&pinion assembly. However, I recommend to stick with all QA1 XMR 10-12 as they are 34.6% larger/stronger and will keep working flawlessly for longer period of time.

- Originally, the 4 front upper toe links (replacement of the upper A-arms) required 4 rod ends with left hand threads. The suspension will only use regular right hand thread now. The switch to these was decided in order to eliminate any chance of self-loosening caused by improper tightened rod end nut. The downside is that the initial setting of each toe link's length is now made slower. However, this is most likely only necessary once in the build and requires just a few extra minutes, so it's considered insignificant.

- There is a little modification in the front section around the middle of the dashboard area. Previously, I used a single tube in the center that is now replaced by two tubes sitting 160 mm apart, in order to increase the strength and to allow easier installation of the two metal sheets underneath. As a side effect, this change also widens the front upper opening through the central tunnel (160 mm wide single opening, instead of the previous two 70 mm wide openings), which could be usable should any electrical board, A/C vent pipes of other components be installed there.

- The current progress of the EU and both US chassis plans is as follows (this list looks almost as same as the one in my post on 30 May 2015, however, there are plenty of improvements and additions to some of the chassis sections):
B - Front and rear* bumpers [front fully completed, rear half finished]
D - Door frames and hinges [not yet started, will be my last task]
R - Roof roll-cage [redesigned, near finishing]
MP - Machined parts [half completed]
SP - Suspension tubes [redesigned, near finishing]

*Originally, my Govedo chassis plans were not meant to include separate rear bumper frame (section B), however, I designed it recently as to make the package more complete and usable for the builders. To distinguish the front and rear bumper tubes in the chassis plans, the front ones are named from B-1 to B-14, and the rear ones are named from B-15 to B-29.

PS: My progress with the chassis plans was slowed down in last weeks due to me working mostly on the suspension design. However, after I'm done with it in the coming days, I will proceed with the remaining chassis plans and send a good amount of them to the respective builders. I thank you for your patience and assure you that I do my best to provide a chassis design that far exceeds my initial intent.

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 16, 2015 - 03:50 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- I do two versions of those tube plans that require bending, because different radius for the bend dies is used in different regions. This is why all tube plans for bent tubes will have alternatives with bend radius of 117 mm and 200 mm, respectively. If you use some different radius bend die, certain tubes may require very minor adjustments.

- It is now clear how many machined parts (made with turner machine) will be used in the suspension arms, uprights and engine cradle mountings. They are 78 numbers total. Keep in mind that the newly designed bolt-on removable rear bumper section (described in my previous update above) will require a few more machined parts, so the total number of the latter will be most likely 84 or 86. A complete list with plans will be available soon. For those of you who can't get these machined parts custom made at an affordable price locally, I can offer a competitive price since I have contacts with skilled turner in my area (Bulgaria, EU) who can do this job, then I can send the package over to your location via DHL or other shipping company. The same applies to the custom made metal plates, as well. I recommend to make the machined parts from alloy structural steel grade "40X" (ГОСТ / GOST), also known with its alternative names "41 Cr 4" (DIN) and "5140" (AISI / ASTM / ASME). A comparison table for steel grades could be found here: http://www.b2bmetal.eu/en/pages/index/index/id/134/

- I changed the way I name the cutting patterns. Previously, they were named CP-1, CP-2, CP-3 etc, but I found it more natural if they share the same name as the tube or sheet metal they belong to, but having a "x" marking sitting in front. If there will be two or more cutting patterns used on a single tube or sheet metal, an additional "(a)", "(b)", "(c)" etc words will be placed at the end. For example, the roof tube R-1 requires two cutting patterns on either side, so they will will be named "xR-1(a)" and "xR-1(b)" respectively. This will eliminate the chance for misunderstanding where some tube may have completely different number than its corresponding cutting pattern.

- The roof cage now features an additional X-bracing for increased strength. The chassis was quite strong even without that X-brace for those looking for the larger possible head room, however, there is no such thing as "too strong", so I recommend to sacrifice some head room for the sake of extra protection (unless your name is Arnold Schwarzenegger).

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 29, 2015 - 12:38 AM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

- All suspension tube plans (SP) and tube end cutting patterns (xSP) for the A-arms are completed. Every tube end cutting pattern has a tiny dent along the flat side to mark the location of the top side while the tube is laid horizontally on a table, as shown in this instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B3LwXOR5mQ ;

- Recently, I did lots of optimizations on the metal plates used in the A-arms and suspension mounting points. The files for laser cutting of these are already completed and available in both, DWG and DXF file formats. The metal plates for the wheel hubs (uprights) and upper coil-over mounting are still work in progress, and should be ready soon;

- Initial batch for most of the steel machined parts (MP) is fabricated and validated. Weight is approximately 8.8-8.9 kg (19-19.6 lbs). There are about 70 more small inserts that are in the making now. The machined parts usually come as printed plans used by you to fabricate them locally with turner machine and milling machine. However, as I mentioned in my previous update, I can provide these for a good price + international shipping via DHL. Hi-res photos (2592x1944 pixels) here:
http://i.imgur.com/GoHDDBO.jpg (all together)
http://i.imgur.com/LAexEjL.jpg (close-up)
http://i.imgur.com/wF0FfWa.jpg (upper engine cradle mounting points coupled together)
http://i.imgur.com/ky0WvWk.jpg (lower coil over mounting)
http://i.imgur.com/0B7Fay4.jpg (front toe link)
http://i.imgur.com/WddxJ6R.jpg (rear toe link)

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 02, 2015 - 07:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

UPDATE:

My set of chassis plans with a license to build one chassis is up for sale at 500 US Dollars or 440 Euros until Friday, 9th October 2015, then the plans will be discontinued from sale and I will start taking orders only for the built chassis with suspension arms and wheel hubs, covered with temporary protective coat WD40 to preserve the metal while you add some extra tabs to mount your preferred engine, transmission, radiators, fuel tank(s), pedals, seats etc. Price of the built chassis will be 7500 US Dollars or 6700 Euros + shipping from Finland by "Finnluxury Oy". Initial customers will receive continuous support for their chassis builds. For private information, please use personal messages or Skype: Bulgarian.supercars

This is how the Govedo chassis looks like when armed with suspension and wheels. Some tubes, sheet metal and adjustable mounting points are not yet installed at this moment due to continuing development, but the chassis will be finished soon:

(YouTube video)
https://youtu.be/ZKy_EVm2OF0

BOBIDESIGNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 08, 2015 - 11:19 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Last day for selling my chassis plans with a license to build one chassis at 500 US Dollars or 440 Euros.

However, from Friday, 9th October 2015, the actual built chassis will be available for 7500 US Dollars or 6700 Euros + shipping from Finland by "Finnluxury Oy".

Jump to: