Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 34 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
AlloutofdonutsOffline
Post subject: VW VR6  PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 - 02:49 AM

1st post, HI!!!!!

So, I haven't seen any info on swaps using this engine?

The older 2.8L 12 valve engines are a dime a dozen and there's lots of aftermarket support. I've seen them sell for $500 with tranny, ecu and wire harness(by me lol).

They're pretty robust, and turbo friendly. Stock internals have been well documented to hold 400hp reliably.

They're transverse and compact. I imagine they would fit a Fiero and replica chassis.

Reply with quote Back to top
MMBRAZILOffline
Post subject: RE: VW VR6  PostPosted: Nov 27, 2012 - 10:19 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Are you talking about the V6 engines also used in the audi A4 A6 in mid 90´s. If so,they are one of the easiest engine to put in a replica chassis.....just make the motor and mount support.
I didn´t know they where turbo friendly and could handle 400hp....does the tranny handle 400hp also?

AlloutofdonutsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2012 - 01:34 AM

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I've been day dreaming about a Diablo replica with either an Audi S4 2.7TT/6 spd or a VR6 turbo.

The VR6 is a different animal altogether from the Audi V6. The early Audi V6's are not as turbo friendly(or friendly at all due to the piston rings) and don't have a fraction of the aftermarket support that the VR6 does.

It's a (very)narrow angle V6. The pistons are oriented in a tight offest from each bank, and there's only one DOHC head. The turbo'd examples I've seen (or heard/read about) are not fresh motors either. One local to me had 170k on it and lasted nearly 3 years of daily beatings with 16psi dyno'd @462hp! That's original psitons, rings, rods, etc. only using a comp droppng copper HG, and headstuds (& a few minor gaskets and misc items that needed to be replaced anyway). It was using an off the shelf chip tune too. The failure was 'guessed' to be when they changed to stand alone ECU & larger turbo.

The 12 valve engines only came in 2.8L but there used to be 2.9L & 3.1L bore kits out there.

The newer 24 valve VR6 comes in 2.8L, 3.2L(Golf R32 250hp stock) & 3.6L (Passat). They're a unique and GREAT sounding engine! -IMO

The trannys are pretty stout too, but people usually put an upgraded differential in them when aiming for more than the 'entry level' 400ish hp. They're available in 6spd too.

I'm soooo looking forward to doing something like this but still in the daydreamin phase right now. I need to secure a good work area first!

AlloutofdonutsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2012 - 07:13 PM

MMBRASIL, what engine are you using?

VF1SkullangelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 08, 2012 - 07:45 AM

These are great engines, I have seen them swapped in Fieros already.

Jump to: