Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 66 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daywilmOffline
Post subject: A-arm Pivot Information Needed  PostPosted: Feb 18, 2013 - 03:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I'm trying to make sure I understand the finer points of a replica suspension so I don't do something that wears out the bushings too fast. I am using NAERC A-arms and have UHMW bushings with steel inserts per Jim Dinner's layout. My question is, what should be rotating against what? It seems to me that as the suspesion moves up and down, the ID of the steel insert should rotate on the OD of the bolt going through it that also has the "cams" on the ends. But in order to keep the cams from moving you have to tighten the bolt tight enough that it seems it would keep the bushing and steel insert from moving which would make the A-arm slide on the OD of the bushing. I'm thinking this would prematurely wear out the UHMW bushing. Anybody out there a suspension expert and can tell me what is correct?
Mike

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2013 - 07:46 PM
KitCentral Fellow

The bolts needs to be super tight. In doing so it locks the cams and center steel tube to the frame bracket. The bushing is ideally locked too but this is not always the case.
The inside diameter of the A arm end tubes should move on the bushing. It can either move at that point or around the center steel tube.
I use synthetic grease on the inner and outer of the bushing.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2013 - 08:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks Jim, you always come through and it is appreciated. I'm also relieved that the a-arm tube is supposed to rotate on the bushing as you described since that is the only thing I could see that was going to happen on this type of set up. I just wasn't sure about it and now I am!
Thanks again,
Mike

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 23, 2013 - 05:47 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Actually the plastic bushing should be a tight fit to the a-arm and the plastic bushing should rotate on the sleeve that is over the bolt. That way any wear occurs with the plastic bushing and the inner sleeve which are both replaceable.

Jump to: