Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 41 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daywilmOffline
Post subject: BMW V12 Oil Spray Bar  PostPosted: Nov 04, 2013 - 07:13 PM
KitCentral Fellow

So, I've read a lot on various forums about the notorious loose banjo bolts on the BMW V12 oil spray bars. Most people seem to be drilling the heads of the bolts so they can use safety wire on them, some are using thread locker and others are doing both. I found one guy that has what I think is the best idea. He fabricates bolt-locking tabs out of .032" thick brass plate that has "legs" that straddle the spray bar on one end and enough brass plate extending out the other end to allow for bending up againt the banjo bolt head. I'm thinking about going this route and using thread locker as an added safety net. My only conceern is that he calls for aluminum crush washers of very specific sizes on top and bottom of the spray bar that I've not been able to find. Both top and bottom washers have a 0.32" I.D. and a 0.437" O.D. The difference between the two is the thickness. The bottom washer is 0.09" thick and the top is 0.055" thick.

Anybody have any experience with this type of set up? I'm wondering why the OEM BMW crush washers couldn't be used and save all the headache. All you are adding is a small pice of flat brass that is only 0.032" thick. Any experts out there have an opinion? Thanks for the help as always.

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: BMW V12 Oil Spray Bar  PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 - 10:16 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Factory washers will be fine.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2013 - 10:30 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks for the reply, Jim. Nice to see you are still lurking around. I took a closer look at the diagram I got from Shogun's website and it is for a different year 750 which doesn't have same spray bar as my 1990. I came to the conclusion that for my setup the factory washers should work so I'm happy that you agree.

I took the spray bars off last night and was surprised that each bolt only had one crush washer. I was expecting to find one on each side of the spray bar but it only had one on top. So, I guess that's the way I'll put it back!

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 06, 2013 - 11:14 AM
KitCentral Fellow

When you think about it, it is just leaking oil anyway.

Jump to: