Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 65 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject: Old D&R kit - Just now building it  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2014 - 02:38 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I've followed on here for years (off and on). Have read a ton of stuff over the years. Have finally gotten a budget together to build my 96 Diablo VT that I've been sitting on for about 13 years. Will be very aggressive in trying to knock it out.

I have a 3800 N/A motor set with forged pistons and blower cam (more on this later). G6 GT F40 tranny. North American someone who made coil over suspension and big brakes for the 84-87 Fiero with proper track and bolt pattern for Lambo wheels. I have Murci wheels. Complete interior package from D&R. All the lights needed all around the car. Hinges, struts and latches all around. Dual Monza tips.

I'll post up some pics where everyone can see them via my G-plus acct. I probably already have some of these out there. Just search for sisqocracker {at} gmail.com on Google Plus to see what I'm talking about.

Have 95 TA donor bits for a nice finish in several spots - Fender shields (inside the wheel arch), rear view mirror with lights in it, dome light, door pulls, power switches (mirrors, locks, windows) harness for those bits. Power headlights from 95 TA (if needed). Power window hardware/regs/etc. Door latches, rods and striker from 95 TA too. Power mirrors themselves. Rubber boot from door to body. Rubber boot from hatchback struts for closing up door struts on Lambo. Old Borla exhaust that will be reworked to be reused where I can.

Need a windshield or a mod to take another windshield (this is an old D&R kit I picked up in '01, that may have been a few years old when I got it). Need dual radiators. Longer shifter cables. Parking brake cable made up. New lines for brakes. New hydraulic clutch setup. Clutch, press plate and extended TOB for the 3800 to F40 setup. Flex pipe from FWD manifold to pipe. Cat.

Rick (of D&R lore) is about 1.25 hours up the road from me, would like to have him to do my doors if I can. Barry isn't too far from me either. Got some teenage elbow grease for some sanding (boy is learning to be a body man from his uncle and knows a bit about what he's doing).

Any suggestions/questions that help mold what I'm doing, please give me a shout back. Am glad I'm finally able to join the party. I may need a new cradle and have some rust beyond the shock tower in the rear drivers side that will require welding in some new metal. The cradle concern is in on the pass side, rear bolt for suspension mounting, it's toast. Rotten all the way through. I'm having to drop the cradle with the pass side suspension on it still to get that broke loose. Can insert new steel there and weld it in too. Just seeing what others think.

My aftermarket suspension kit will do away with the old stuff, but the cradle and tail section of the frame need fixed. And I figure as time goes on, it'll be harder to find a 84-87 cradle worth having.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,
Coop

Reply with quote Back to top
flyhilandsoft
Post subject: RE: Old D&R kit - Just now building it  PostPosted: Mar 29, 2014 - 05:51 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Welcome aboard! Looks like you have a good head start. Keep us up to date on your progress.

http://www.siennacountach.net/gallery2/album129?page=1

http://countachbuild.shutterfly.com/pictures#:albumId=2303
Password-aluminum

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject: RE: Old D&R kit - Just now building it  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2014 - 02:36 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks. I did have to cut the bolt (on both sides) to get the suspension lose on the pass side. Glad that's done. Going to see a man on Monday to help with the cradle.

Thanks,
Coop

CCIEOffline
Post subject: D&R  PostPosted: Mar 30, 2014 - 05:16 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Welcome.....

I am doing a 88 cradle swap on my 86 Fiero based Diablo Roadster and going with a v8. I will have my cradle available (but there are 2 folks ahead of you, one is a Fiero person the other is doing something with a Ferrari replica or something) I am in central Ohio. I still have the doors to do then the interior then re-paint. If both of the person do not come through lets talk.
I have a Corry Davis body but if there is anything I can assist with let me know

CCIE
Yusha_2000@yahoo.com
www.lambooem.com

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 31, 2014 - 07:55 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks man. Sounds good. I do Cisco networks for a living myself. Smile

Coop

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2014 - 12:44 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Got the cradle repaired. It will hold me for now. Besides, if this thing brings the attention to drive another business (it's real reason for being now), then I will be able to afford a replacement down the road. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to enjoy driving this car, but it has a new purpose in life. You can see more about what is coming to this car on 100mpgmotors.com

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2014 - 02:54 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Got new pics up at Google Plus:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MarkCoopersisqocracker/posts

Found 57.5" between the two wheel hubs. Face to face. Also had 6" ground clearance at the front pivot point at the bottom of the cradle. Will post about it in Pennock's Fiero Forum and see what they say about the G6 or Cobalt SS axles.

If you guys have experience with the 3800 and the F40 going into the D&R kit, give me a shout here please.

Thanks,
Coop

call2talkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Any luck on the windsheild , I need one for my 2nd generation D&R coupe .

Pantera/DiabloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2014 - 05:22 PM

Rick (D&R) at one time offered a upgraded windshield frame for newer type glass that worked out very well!

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject: Re: D&R  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2015 - 12:08 AM
KitCentral Fellow

CCIE wrote:
Welcome.....

I am doing a 88 cradle swap on my 86 Fiero based Diablo Roadster and going with a v8. I will have my cradle available (but there are 2 folks ahead of you, one is a Fiero person the other is doing something with a Ferrari replica or something) I am in central Ohio. I still have the doors to do then the interior then re-paint. If both of the person do not come through lets talk.
I have a Corry Davis body but if there is anything I can assist with let me know

CCIE
Yusha_2000@yahoo.com
www.lambooem.com

I'm back to a V8 again myself. I've had a high horse LT1 that was in my 95TA years ago that I'll be putting into the Diablo after all. I've got some rust to kill where the cradle bolts up in the back on the DS.

So now that I'm back to the LT1/F40 combo, what good links does anyone have for that? I've been looking but it doesn't look like I'm finding much in the way of direct fit parts. Most guys are fabricating way more than they should have to.

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2015 - 12:09 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Pantera/Diablo wrote:
Rick (D&R) at one time offered a upgraded windshield frame for newer type glass that worked out very well!

I should see if Rick still up the road from me here and see if he has any leads on that sort of thing still. I'll be needing one eventually myself.

Thanks,
Coop

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2015 - 10:35 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Starting tomorrow, this will become my build diary. I've gotten some progress between late last week and this past weekend. I got the rust killed off with fresh metal on the DS rear where the cradle meets up. I'll have some shots of that. Also doing the POR15 on the cradle itself, that will be complete tomorrow. New bushings for the cradle mounts going in the front. Rears was already in when I got the car.

I'll be updating my blog on 100mpgmotors.com and it will be a copy/paste of what I have on here. The pics will be easier to see over there as it is all Google products that host it. Am glad I finally have some consistent help getting this thing together. Looking forward to actually getting it done. Smile

Thanks,
Coop

(Nate will be generating most updates from here on out)

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2015 - 10:57 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Finished POR on cradle today, did top, bottom and insides, also got the rear frame rails POR'd too. Got the piece welded in for the left rear cradle bolt. Cleaned it up and painted it with the same primer. Pictures are on 100mpgmotors.blogspot.com

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2015 - 11:23 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Have removed the body and started more wire wheeling of the old rusty frame. Here's a pic of Nate running the angle grinder with the wire wheel on it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-EbnOaRkcFpE/VNP6jG0XmsI/AAAAAAAAPTY/pxz33xtqHYk/s1600/20150205_161606.jpg

Got my old 60k BTU kerosene heater fired up again. Hadn't run it in years. Had to hand spin the fan motor/fuel pump to get it to power on and start running. It was pretty noisy for a while but cleaned up and quieted down after some run-in time.

Here's the body out on the driveway. Hopefully We'll be able to put it back on tomorrow afternoon.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yFabLSkySWY/VNP6xZd8eNI/AAAAAAAAPTg/-Syjpdw7-GE/s1600/20150205_161345.jpg

sisqocrackerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2015 - 12:07 AM
KitCentral Fellow

This update was going to be a bit long with too many pics of what all got done on Friday the 6th of Feb, so I'll just leave this link here. In short, radiators came in, more rust work was dealt with. Bushings got knocked out of the old engine cradle.

http://100mpgmotors.blogspot.com/2015/02/feb-06-just-like-christmas-around-here.html

Was a good day. Smile

Thanks,
Coop

Jump to: