Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 53 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daywilmOffline
Post subject: Boxster Transaxle  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2014 - 03:15 PM
KitCentral Fellow

What are opinions on using a Porsche Boxster transaxle instead of the Audi on a Roadster with a V12 engine? On another website Jim Dinner mentioned it but it was some time back. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these.

Reply with quote Back to top
intradomeOffline
Post subject: RE: Boxster Transaxle  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 03:50 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Email EMartin. He made my adapter boxster to LS1. I am sure he would be able to made boxster to v12 engine adapter. Question is if this setup will fit in the roadster.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 04:15 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Did you do any upgrades to the Boxster tranny? Are all Boxster trannies the same or are some years better than others? I think it will fit OK in the Roadster as the Boxster is a little shorter than the Audi.

intradomeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2014 - 05:49 AM
KitCentral Fellow

My transmission is from 2002 Porsche cayman which is same as 6spd boxster. They also have 5spd boxster. I did no upgrades to the tranny itself. It is tight but it fits in my roadster with LS1.

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2014 - 01:17 AM
KitCentral Fellow

The boxter s has the strongest trans

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2014 - 06:50 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Intradome, what did you use for your clutch. The Boxster uses a dual mass flywheel that contains the springs and the friction disk is solid. I'm thinking I'll need to have a custom solid flywheel made which would require using a sprung friction disk.

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 05:29 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I have made adapters for the Porsche and Audi transmissions to the BMW V12. The Boxster S/Cayman 6-speed would be the preferred unit to use. I make a custom flywheel and use the Porsche clutch. PM me for details or email to eric@kitcarchassis.com.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 01:51 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Eric, I'll keep that in mind. I realize the 6-speed is the stronger tranny but I really want to stick with the 5-speed to match the actual car and so I can use the shift gate I have. As far as the clutch is concerned, I'm trying to get away from paying $750 for a clutch (that's more than I paid for the tranny!) so I'm researching other cars that have the same 1" x 23 spline input shaft. There are quite a few that use this combination. Right now I'm leaning towards one from a late model Ford Ranger (3.0L or 4.0L). Depending on year, they range from 8.875" disk diameter to 10.125". I can get one of these in a Stage 1 or Stage 2 (for increased clamping force) for about half the price of the Porsche clutch. And from what I've read, the Porsche clutch is not very strong. These clutches also have sprung disks so I can go with a solid flywheel.
You're in Dallas, right? If I ever make it down that way I'd like to stop in and see your shop.

intradomeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 06:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

It has been so long since I put that engine/tranny together. After Eric made me adapter he gave me some links of what parts to get to make that work. I don't remember exactly maybe Eric will provide some info. Clutch indeed was expensive and flywheel was not the standard one but a thinner one. I also had to get a different starter for that setup.

daywilm wrote:
Intradome, what did you use for your clutch. The Boxster uses a dual mass flywheel that contains the springs and the friction disk is solid. I'm thinking I'll need to have a custom solid flywheel made which would require using a sprung friction disk.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 07:35 PM
KitCentral Fellow

My plan is to do like Jim Dinner did with his adapter and space it out 1" which will allow me to use the BMW starter and ring gear. I'll just need to take careful measurements so I can have a custom flywheel made that is the right thickness, etc. I'm not real excited about using the weaker tranny but if the Audi's hold up under gently usage then I'm thinking the Boxster should also. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 07:44 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I have done this before so I have all the dimensions to make a flywheel. You can use the stock flexplate to match the BMW starter. The Porsche clutch is 240mm (9 7/16) and the Audi clutch fits the 5-speed Boxster and those are available for around $250. The 5-speed has a 15/16 input shaft and the early 6-speed has the 1 inch. The later 6-speed went to the smaller splines like the 5-speed and the Audi.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 25, 2014 - 08:06 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks for the info Eric. According to the ZF (Sachs) application chart, the 2000 Boxster 5-speed has an input shaft of 31/32" with 23 splines and a 9-7/16" (9.4375") diameter friction disk. I may be wrong, but I think that given the tolerances on these parts it might be possible to use a friction disk that is either 1" or 15/16". What is your experience here? I'm thinking that I will need a stronger clutch than the stock Porsche or Audi or anything else I can find that would fit inside the bellhousing. So, I'm thinking about using an aftermarket that has more bite.

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 07:01 AM
KitCentral Fellow

There are two sizes of input shaft splines and they will not interchange. Spec clutches has upgraded clutches with more clamping force and different facing material. They are about twice the price of the stock clutch.

lambo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 09:34 AM
KitCentral Fellow

hi Daywilm, I am using the 016 with a mazda rx 7 mk4 clutch plate I wanted the largest I could fit in the space I think it was a 240 mm from memory, what we did was machine out about 3mm deep and 50mm wide out of the inside of the bell housing and it worked fine the clutch plate then had a Audi center spline fitted to match the input shaft, we then made an insert to go into the end of the crank to carry the Audi needle roller bearing the bearing for the 016 has HK1816 NRT INA GERMANY ON IT yours could be the same sized shaft mine measured 15mm in front of the spine where it goes into the bearing , I could post pictures but the site does not seem to have that feature. hope this helps

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 26, 2014 - 03:05 PM
KitCentral Fellow

The 016 has different splines and a different input shaft length than the other Audi and the Porsche transmissions. The pilot bearing area of the input shaft is also a different size. The Audi 5000 Turbo clutch is 240mm.

Jump to: