Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 69 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
rodrieguzOffline
Post subject: cutting in fake body lines  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2016 - 06:47 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Is there a technique to cut perfect grooves in fiberglass panels? ??

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?set_albumName=Rod-s-roadster-build&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
bartmanOffline
Post subject: RE: cutting in fake body lines  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2016 - 02:04 PM
KitCentral Fellow

It is according to the contour of the panel that I'm cutting the line into that drives the technique. The most difficult for me is cutting a body line in a concave contour, it just takes more time. I create the grove by laying several runs of tape parallel with a gap between them to simulate the groove. Once I'm satisfied with the straightness and location I start out with a hacksaw blade. I gently saw about an 1/8 inch in. I then switch to a long bondo spreader with sandpaper folded over the sharp side. If I need a deep groove then I add marglass or similar to the back side for strength. Once you have your groove cut to the correct depth and width, use sandpaper to round over the edge of the groove. Do that last so you don't loose definition of the groove and make it look wavy. I control the width of the groove by what I wrap sandpaper around. Like I said I like the sharp side of a bondo spreader but for a wider grove I used the other side of the bondo spreader and really like sandpaper wrapped around a good straight paint stick.
Hope I helped.

DIABLOZOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2016 - 02:53 PM

I did basically the exact same thing only I wraped the sandpaper around a small diameter welding rod.
Later I decided I was just going to actually cut most of the body panels apart and lay up some flanges on each piece to bolt them together. I only got a couple done before I sold the car though.

rodrieguzOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2016 - 05:16 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks for the tip guys

http://www.kitcentral.com/index.php?set_albumName=Rod-s-roadster-build&name=gallery&include=view_album.php

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
Jump to: