Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 60 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daywilmOffline
Post subject: Water Temp Sensor on BMW V12  PostPosted: Apr 16, 2016 - 09:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

For those of you using the BMW V12, where did you put the sensor for the water temperature gauge? I know Jim Dinner drilled and tapped a hole in the water channel that runs in the back of the engine and already has three sensors in it. From what I can tell by trying to read the wiring schematics, it looks like the existing sensor on the far right (passenger side) is for the BMW dash light. I'm wondering if I could replace this with a VDO sensor without causing the BMW computers to go crazy. Any ideas?

Reply with quote Back to top
lambo1Offline
Post subject: RE: Water Temp Sensor on BMW V12  PostPosted: Apr 23, 2016 - 02:35 AM
KitCentral Fellow

hi Daywilm what model do you have I have the workshop manuals for the e32 750 and e38 750 so could look it up for you.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2016 - 02:59 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks. I am using the engine from a 1990 750il (E32). I have the wiring diagrams for this model and it looks like the BMW sensor was just going to the instrument panel to drive the temperature gauge. But I'm not the best at reading wiring diagrams. If it doesn't have any other function, I'm thinking I could just replace the BMW sensor with a VDO sensor and run it to my VDO gauge. As long as the DME's or EML aren't looking for a signal from this sensor then it shouldn't cause any issue with the engine. At least, that's what I'm thinking.

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2016 - 01:01 PM
KitCentral Fellow

The main issue is going to be the straight thread in the manifold. The VDO is 1/8"NPT.
I feel you will still need to thread a hole regardless.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 22, 2016 - 04:35 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Jim, I got on egauges.com and they have all sizes/types of senders for the VDO unit. They even have metric sizes. The one that I got was P/N 323-416 which is threaded M14 x 1.5 and fits perfectly in the BMW temperature sensor hole. So, unless I'm missing something I'm thinking it will work. I'll know for sure once I get the engine running.

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 24, 2016 - 10:49 AM
KitCentral Fellow

daywilm wrote:
Jim, I got on egauges.com and they have all sizes/types of senders for the VDO unit. They even have metric sizes. The one that I got was P/N 323-416 which is threaded M14 x 1.5 and fits perfectly in the BMW temperature sensor hole. So, unless I'm missing something I'm thinking it will work. I'll know for sure once I get the engine running.

I didn't know you could get that in metric thread. That should work then!

Jump to: