Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 62 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CrashRatOffline
Post subject: Importing a body/chassis from Canada - questions  PostPosted: Jul 21, 2016 - 10:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi Guys,

does anybody have a copy of their CBP form 7501 - Entry Summary - from an NAERC body or chassis that they would be willing to share a copy of with me via email? I'm trying to import an NAERC body and chassis to the US from a private party in Canada but we're falling a little short on the learning curve once Customs gets involved. They keep wanting to call it a vehicle and telling me it must be brought up to DOT standards, however I know several folks on here have successfully purchased bodies and chassis from Ken when he was still in the business.

Anything you can help with will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Greg

Reply with quote Back to top
76mxOffline
Post subject: RE: Importing a body/chassis from Canada - questions  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2016 - 03:00 AM

This is odd. I had heard for some time that Canada would not allow a kitcar chassis to enter and yet three months ago one of mine sailed right through Canadian Customs and went to Ontario. Now U.S. Customs will not allow one to enter from Canada? And because it will not meet DOT Standards? I have become very familiar with U.S. Title 51 and those DOT Standards over the last two years and I cannot think of a single one that applies to the chassis. It might help to bring Customs the book and ask them specifically what they are referring to.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject: RE: Importing a body/chassis from Canada - questions  PostPosted: Jul 22, 2016 - 04:30 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks. It's been a very confusing series of phone calls but yes you're exactly right. It's like the only word they hear from "kit car chassis" is "car" and they immediately start going down that path no matter how many times I remind them it's a non VIN-stamped chassis product. I have made countless phone calls now to various departments, brokers, registered importers, etc and finally after calling CBP again this afternoon and talking specifically to an agent in the cargo office at the Pacific Highway Crossing into Washington he told me during our 24 minute phone call that based on what I was describing it didn't sound to him or anyone else there like it was a car at all and would probably be looked at as car parts if it showed up at his crossing. I got his name and recorded the call to MP3 in case I need it (and it sounds like I might). He did suggest that I bring it through in the evening because usually the day shift is full of new guys. Maybe that's why I've been getting so much misinformation.

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2016 - 10:16 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Crash, before I retired last year I was the international shipping manager for a large international oil services company. While I didn't import any automobile parts, we did import a lot of different types of items. One thing I learned when dealing with a U.S. Customs agent is that while they can be very frustrating, they are normally just trying to do their job in a way that won't cause them any repercussions when their entries are reviewed by their superiors. While I strongly discourage misleading Customs (that can have very dire consequences), you do need to "guide" them to the decision you want. (And the guy you talked to is correct, the newer employees are normally trying to make a name for themselves and may be much less "reasonable".) Customs does not think like you and I and they operate much like our legal system. Once a precedent is set, right or wrong, they follow it until it is overturned by the courts. One long-standing precedent is that any item entered into the U.S. in a disassembled state will be treated the same as if it was fully assembled as long as the items being entered provide what they call the "essential character" of the finished item. I've done some research and found a number of Customs Rulings (people who have asked Customs for official advice on their entry) where Customs insists that the chassis and body imported together make up the "essential character" of a vehicle and they want to classify it as such. As you found out, this opens up another whole can of worms that you don't want to get into. I would suggest that you have the seller make two separate shipments, a couple of weeks apart. Ship the body components in one shipment and guide Customs towards a Harmonized Tariff Classification of 8707.10.0020. This classification has a 2.5% duty rate. The second shipment would consist of the chassis. For this shipment you should suggest that Customs use classification 8708.99.8180 (also 2.5% duty rate). While Customs has a classification for completed vehicles, chassis fitted with engines, "bodies" entered separately and a host of other parts imported by themselves, they do not have a classification for a bare chassis and body imported together. This means they have to find a classification that best fits in their mind. That is why you want to gently guide them toward the classifications I've mentioned above. By giving them a head start, they will likely be inclined to agree as long as your suggestion seems reasonable. Good luck. Try not to get frustrated as that will only cause you more headaches than you need (and Customs knows how to give you a headache!). Let us know how things turn out.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 22, 2016 - 11:39 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks for the super helpful information, Daywilm. The HTC codes are exactly what I ultimately needed to know. I'd pretty well resolved to break it up into two shipments after talking to this latest officer yesterday, though I also failed to mention that I had hoped to bring it all back myself when we vacation up there next month. Do you think I'd cause problems for myself if I brought the chassis back through Friday evening then rented a uHaul Saturday to drive back over and bring the body back? I'm betting probably so but thought I'd ask. Driving back up again isn't the end of the world but it's a 10 hour round trip I'd certainly like to avoid if I could.

Thanks again for the very helpful input.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2016 - 02:57 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Or here's another idea, I wonder if I could use my business to purchase the body and have it shipped over the border by a carrier while I wait for them in a parking lot. Then we pull it off the truck, set it back on the chassis and away I go. Can't see any reason that wouldn't work unless it might cause a problem for the carrier somehow, can you?

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2016 - 02:21 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Business or personal, doesn't matter. Everything brought across the border has to be entered into Customs. No reputable trucking company would cross the border without making the required entries. That would be smuggling and the trucking company would lose its right to cross the border and probably the fine would be so large it would drive them out of business. There is one thing you can do to help yourself out. Items entering the country that are valued at less than $2500 are entered using an "Informal Entry". Basically this means that it is too minor of a shipment for Customs to spend much time on and they don't look at them as closely. A word of caution, it needs to be believable. Sending both through at the same time wouldn't be reasonable as even Customs agents would know that it isn't likely you'd get all that for less than $2500. Separately, maybe. And it is never good to value something at $2499, or something like that. That raises a red flag that someone is just trying to get under the $2500 threshold. By the way, however you do this, you'll need to get an invoice for each shipment from the seller to verify the valuation to Customs.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 23, 2016 - 02:54 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks. I wasn't talking about trying to smuggle it btw, I'd have the carrier fully disclose what it was and it's value. Just wondering out loud if it might be possible to have it delivered to my trailer in Blaine instead of my shop in Portland. Sounds like it's going to be safest/best for everyone though if I just plan to make a second trip up there later so I can do my own explaining if anything comes up.

Thanks again for the very helpful input!

76mxOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 24, 2016 - 02:59 AM

I doubt if the carrier cares what address they deliver it to, but there is no guarantee when it will clear Customs. You may be waiting to meet them in a Wal-Mart parking lot for days.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 09, 2016 - 07:29 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Just wanted to share the latest. I've been in touch with a customs broker who really seems to know their stuff and assures me that both the chassis and the body can come through together no problem. I'll keep you all posted on our success (or failure). We're tentatively shooting for 8/29 but it may be later if Ron isn't quite done with the additional work I've asked him to do.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 29, 2017 - 05:22 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Wow, nothing happens fast with these cars but I wanted to update my original post from over a year ago and let everyone know that on Tuesday of this week I successfully made it across the boarder with my Roadster. No problems at all. CBP didn't even open the trailer, just cared that the paperwork was in order. Next day it was down at the State Patrol and I got my VIN assigned.

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 30, 2017 - 03:18 AM
KitCentral Fellow

congrats

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

daywilmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 31, 2017 - 03:13 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Great news. Now, on to the fun stuff! Keep us posted on your progress.

Jump to: