Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 19 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
david1970Offline
Post subject: Heat-resistant paint question  PostPosted: Dec 15, 2017 - 09:38 AM

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, and honestly I don't have a kit car, and I am not sure that I will ever build one. Though I am pretty sure, that people who assemble such cars know pretty much everything about the materials, connectors, detailing and other technical stuff. Now, I am in process of restoration my old good Eldorado (1979), and I am looking for good heat-resistant paint that I can use both for calipers and for the underhood stuff. I was wondering, maybe you could recommend something that's proven to work?

I have done my own research at this point, I've checked reviews and watched online comparisons thogh I do not really trust all these people because I understand many of them get paid for such reviews. And I do not want to buy something, then spend a lot of time to sand, prep, paint... and get it all peeling off.

Reply with quote Back to top
david1970Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2017 - 10:06 AM

And yes, here are paints that I am choosing among, but I am free to any suggestions.

First - off ebay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/RED-G2-BRAKE-CALIPER-PAINT-EPOXY-STYLE-KIT-HIGH-HEAT-MADE-IN-USA-FREE-SHIP-/263279428695

Second - caliper spray from Walmard https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Oleum-Automotive-251591-12-Ounce-Caliper-Paint-Spray-Red/17130263?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1122&adid=22222222227009589295&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=65572550088&wl4=pla-92083426608&wl5=9003540&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=101593696&wl11=online&wl12=17130263&wl13=&veh=sem

Third - inexpensive spray paint from carid - https://www.carid.com/por-15/por-15-high-temp-heat-resistant-paint-464391584.html

lambobuilderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2017 - 02:36 PM
KitCentral Fellow

good research. I would go with a brush on as it will be better coverage. give us feedback on what you use and your level of satisfaction. We can all learn.

guywithlamboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2017 - 08:47 PM
KitCentral Fellow

here in Toronto is company called Wheel tech
and he restores rims and Calipers. this company has account with one of big Audi and Porsche dealership here, so when he restores or re finish Calipers he use solvent base coat and medium brand 2.1 clear. then re apply vinyl brand stickers. Gets them custom made locally .
so since I know him well,I asked don't you need heat resistant paint? he said, are you taking your Audi or Porsche or any other car to the track?? where you constantly use brake on and off then yes use heat paint other then normal driving it does not get hot
so will burn the paint . so why wasted money?? unless you take your Caddy to track.

david1970Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2017 - 03:16 PM

lambobuilder wrote:
good research. I would go with a brush on as it will be better coverage. give us feedback on what you use and your level of satisfaction. We can all learn.

Thanks, will certainly do!

guywithlambo wrote:
unless you take your Caddy to track.

No, it certainly won't go on track haha
Thanks for sharing this info, very interesting... I thought that in any case for any vehicle you need a heat-resistant paint... Seems like no! Something new for me J

guywithlamboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 19, 2017 - 10:57 PM
KitCentral Fellow

but since you do not do this every day ,like 3-4 sets is cheaper actually buy a caliper spray can, and if you are putting on decals , get vinyl it will be ok. stencils are ok too, but if you are not care full and watch for over spray it could look cheezy

and clean it good before painting

Jump to: