Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 58 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Damion50Offline
Post subject: Chassis Question  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2004 - 01:16 PM

Hey there everyone I was wondering this is my first diablo build and I was wondering what chassis do you think is best, well lets not say best but I mean good for the money an affordable one for a first build..

Reply with quote Back to top
GSXRBOBBYOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2004 - 01:08 AM

Great chassis is a tube chassis with the already upgraded susp. and brakes, and it can be built to suit.
Money wise and free info. you should go with a Fiero chassis, there are so many different ways people have done things and most are posted around, plus a starter chassis is going to be anywhere from free "a parted out car" to $1000, you should send more than that since a good part of the car isn't going to be used by you, plus you may get a couple hundred back by selling panels and other unused parts on Ebay? They don't really go for much though unless they are in really great condution.

speedbuff_00Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 02:58 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Yeah, I think you should start with doing a feiro chassis first. alot less work and less money.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  
mikeo
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 03:40 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Man, just my opinion, but a Fiero chassis LESS work,,,no way! Between disassembling he darn thing, then sawzalling it to death. Cheap, yes, but it beats you up a few hundred at a time. IN the end, you'll probably spend just as much, unless you're looking to leave it a v6 stock susp, etc. I'd never do a Fiero based car again. Heck I'll sell you mine from My Vt for $1000 Motor and all. I'm going to cut that sucker outta there soon.

CrashRatOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2004 - 06:38 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I agree with Mike. I've built a Fiero-based chassis and I am currently building an NAERC replica chassis. By the time I budgeted the Fiero with 13" brakes, wide suspension, good coilovers, and all the other little bits and pieces, I was going to be in it for less than $2k difference between that and my replica chassis. Plus, I have maybe 80% as much time into the Fiero as my replica chassis.

I will grant, however, that having a bit of an architectural drafting background has helped me understand the chassis plans much better. They can be a pretty formidable opponent to conquer if 3-D visualization skills are challenging to you. There are some 600 individual sheet and tube pieces in the replica chassis.

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 19, 2004 - 10:05 PM
KitCentral Fellow

MY 3 cents worth...... I have built a couple of Fiero based cars and there are a lot unforeseen things under that skin that can cost you extra money. Rust and worn out components.
You are putting on new brakes right? Upgrade to larger of size, of course. Nothing is goofier than small brakes. The NAERC replica chassis has a 13" set up that cost me $1300.00 CDN for rotors, calipers, mounts and bolts. I have seen Fiero guys spend $2500.00 on converting to a 12" setup.
You basically have to build a frame around your tub if you are doing a Diablo. There are not too many plans for this out there.
Then you need to factor in the selling price, not that you would but, a tube chassis is almost always worth more than a Fiero.
All the steel for the chassis came in under $1200.00CDN - less than some Fieros out there.
Just a couple of things to think about...

Jim
www.kwikercars.com

dBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 03:41 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi:

I just bought a D&R Roadster and ChassisWorks Proline Chassis.

I seriously thought about the Fireo and saving some money.
In fact It may have been alot of money.

I spent about 6 months cruising the websites and this place looking at what was for sale. Two things I saw people's dreams die on:
- Finishing the chassis for a V-8 and suffering resale value
- Dying on the windows / doors.

These projects are completed on 3 things:
- Your dream / goal
- Time
- Money

Anyone of those starts to falter....your done.

I went with a Proline Chassis because it is a completly engineered product.
The NAERC was in there also but was out of the country and more money.
I have moved my project forward by 200-400 hrs due to elimination of sourcing and fabrication. Why reinvent the wheel for the 49th time.

There are still alot of things to do on the cars but one of my goals was to complete and drive it in this lifetime while creating some resale value.

Ever try to buy or find a tubular chassis V-8 Roadster???

dB.................

bobboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 - 01:58 AM

Some people like to say they saved a little money by building a fierro-ghini. When you take in account of all the time it takes just to gut your donor your looking at a min of 10 hours with one person. Just like some of the guys said, if you want a suspension handles good enough to even call a suspension it will cost you a hefty penny. For the money and qaulity you should look at a replica chassis or tube.

centerfoldsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 13, 2005 - 02:24 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I agree with bobbo.I started out with a fiero.Thats fine if your gonna keep the stock 6cyl & are going mainly for looks.Thats what I was doing in the begining.I was going to up-grade later.But after the car show,seeing the chassies,motors,&other builds,I decided to go with the bigger engine now.By the time I would of been done with the labor,suspension,brakes,v-8 archie adapter & all the other goodies for a little more you can get a real rolling chassie from American Super Cars.I got the complete whole deal,nothing else to buy except the engine & trans. for $14,500.00 Exclamation They were even nice enough to buy my fiero donor from me for the full price I paid for it which is $2,800.00 From IFG! They put that $2,800.00 towards $14,500.00 for my real chassie.The reason why they did this is because they are turn-key builders & they would be able to sell it to a customer down the road looking for a fiero-based 6cyl.build.The quality is out of this world & there building skills are excellant! A great bunch of guys at American Super Cars Exclamation

fatalshockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 - 09:26 PM
KitCentral Fellow

what are you guys doing, gold plating everything or something? I have a finished chassis (ok almost finished) and I haven't spent a dime! After selling all body panels and lights, I not only made my money back on the car, but had enough left over for metal supplies, Lt1, and half the cost of the body. God I guess I'm just lucky. I'm happy as hell with my chassis.....looks as good a some tube chassis if you ask me. I took the time to gusset everything and finish it pretty too...gee I just want a cool car, not an exact replica...I guess thats where I differ from the rest. some Tube chassis are really really freakin incredible though...seems like a lot of money for something you don't see any way.

fatalshockOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 07, 2005 - 09:29 PM
KitCentral Fellow

oh yeah, and me and 2 friends chopped it up in about 2 hours with 1 sawzall and some hand tools...it was a breeze.

BandBCustomsOffline
Post subject: Frames and Chassis  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2005 - 04:16 PM

We manufacture a Diablo body kit, I am currently building one on a stretched Fiero chassis (article in Dec. 2005 Kit Car Builder - pg 46-49) and also doing one on a custom tubular frame (had it designed and can now market them). Money being an issue (and you have the ability of engineering) go with the Fiero. Performance and design being issues, go with the tubular. Using the Fiero, you have the wiring and plumbing done, and the option of using stock transaxle and motor. The tubular has the advantage of the 12" and 13" brakes, fuel cells, better transaxles and engines, suspension (ours has air in front and dual shocks in back) and realistic design. Getting what you want, starts from choosing the right components in the beginning.

B and B Customs
P.O. Box 6667
Visalia, CA. 93290

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
cliffscustomfabOffline
Post subject: RE: Frames and Chassis  PostPosted: May 25, 2009 - 12:03 AM

i agree with b and b, you need to know what you really want. if you want something that you can put around in from show to show. or do you want somthing that actually can perform on the road and or the track. honestly though and not that i am downing anyone or anyones work. but you can only take the fiero chassis so far. where as the tube chassis your options are unlimited.

BandBCustomsOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Frames and Chassis  PostPosted: May 25, 2009 - 06:12 AM

cliffscustomfab wrote:
i agree with b and b, you need to know what you really want. if you want something that you can put around in from show to show. or do you want somthing that actually can perform on the road and or the track. honestly though and not that i am downing anyone or anyones work. but you can only take the fiero chassis so far. where as the tube chassis your options are unlimited.

Thanks for the input. It was well said. I put $18,000 in just my chassis, wheels, and tires. Then I had to find a transaxle (Medallion), do the seats, interior, wiring, and radiators. Then I am going to need the engine (hopefully a LS1) and all the adapters to make things connect. Yes, the Fiero is an easier way to go, and a lot less expensive (save at least $40,000), but the tubular chassis allows no limits.

B and B Customs
P.O. Box 6667
Visalia, CA. 93290

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
tallonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2010 - 01:41 AM

jdinner wrote:

All the steel for the chassis came in under $1200.00CDN - less than some Fieros out there.
Just a couple of things to think about...

No one mentions that you have to pay 1500 USD for the chassis plans -.-

Jump to: