Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 59 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Formula97Offline
Post subject: AWD???  PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 07:13 PM

Has anyone ever considered having the thought about imagining what it woul take to think about trying to attmpt to design a set-up that could make an AWD VT? Question

Reply with quote Back to top
scotterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 08:40 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Currently working on it for my car.

http://www.hotrodcourier.com/

My other car-

Formula97Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2003 - 09:11 PM

Where are your donor parts comming from? Are threre any adverse weight gains? Im intrigued.

scotterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 05, 2003 - 03:32 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I am using full size truck parts (modified np203) and expect to be adding around 300+ lbs overall to the car in doing so. It could be done with less wieght but I am building a heavy car with my 16 cylinder setup as it is, and need to use parts that can hold up to the torque.

My other car-

ExoticDreamBuilderRyanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 13, 2003 - 11:51 PM
KitCentral Fellow

That So rulezzz Scotter! God I cant wait to see pics of it! And yes he said 16!!! muwhahaha!

Good luck buddy.

www.exoticdreambuilders.com

Ryan Van Blokland

scotterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 - 12:00 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I recently changed plans with my layout, the diff. in the 203 wont hold up and I still have to correct the rotation. The drive line was way to complicated and wouldn't fit well. I am building a reversing tranfer case instead. I concidered going this route before but thought it would be easier to use existing parts - I was wrong. The best way to go is with a single unit I have most of the interal parts together and will be working on the casting patterns now.

My other car-

AutoMXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 10:06 PM
KitCentral Fellow

any idea of the MPG of that engine setup? Laughing
2...3?

or do you plan on using gallon/mile? Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number 
scotterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 10:14 PM
KitCentral Fellow

My guess is 6-7 mpg Laughing

I really am not to concerned with it though. I plan on using the car a couple of times a month when the weather is good. If I go to any events it will be on the trailer. Wink

My other car-

wire2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2006 - 01:11 AM
KitCentral Fellow

What front to back ratio will you have? Viscous coupling?

scotterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2006 - 05:46 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Front to Rear will be 1:1 with a differential between to prevent binding. I plan on using tires of the same hieght and have not made any provision for anything but a 1:1 ratio.

The layout for the case is very simple with the differential from a Dana 60 axle using a custom ring gear that has the teeth facing out to the edge instead of to the side. This gear is meshed directly with an input gear without an idler gear and corrects the rotation. The differential then sends splits the power front to rear just like it does side to side in the axle.

I will run limited slip in the front and rear axles to help prevent just one tire from breaking loose. I may even run a limited slip in the transfer case, my only concern would be that it would almost certainly become a high maint. componant. The design is such that it would be very easy to change out without removing the entire case so I may give it a try.

My other car-

wire2Offline
Post subject: Front-Rear ratio; a heads up  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 - 07:27 PM
KitCentral Fellow

The reason I brought it up was, several years ago I discovered that a 1:1 F-R ratio will cause the front wheels to do almost all the pulling and the rears to idle along.
I had a '95 Dodge (Mitsu) Stealth turbo with AWD. To make it handle and behave like a rear driver, they overdrive the rear by 11%. That way the rear does the pushing, the fronts only steer until the rears slip, then the viscous coupling grabs and all 4 bite.

From a Car-Craft article on the Stealth;
"Torque is split via a planetary-type center differential in a 45:55 front:rear ratio. Viscous-type limited slips are used in both the center and rear differentials."

With a differential between F-R you won't have any drive train stress build up or excessive tire wear but it will probably feel like a front driver.

Hank

scotterOffline
Post subject: RE: Front-Rear ratio; a heads up  PostPosted: Feb 04, 2006 - 08:36 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Hank you make a good point. I have driven several AWD vehicles with 1:1 ratios and you are correct with your statement about feeling similar to a FWD. I expected that my car would feel that way. I was not aware of the Stealth solution. It would be more complicated and expensive to build than I am interested in persuing, but perhaps if I ran different ratios in the front and rear axles I could have something similar.

I would leave the center differential open and incorperate an oil cooling system for the case (I planned on looking into an oil cooler anyway) .

Does anyone know what other performance AWD cars are utililizing for a front to rear ratio? I'm curios as to what the ideal ratio would be. I know the VT uses different ratios in he axles but thought it had to do with tire hieght. Is this Lamborghinis way of splitting the torque as well ? I've never seen a torque split ratio posted for lamborghini.

My other car-

brianbsaltyOffline
Post subject: RE: Front-Rear ratio; a heads up  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2006 - 03:17 PM

I was just reading this about two v8 putting togeather to make a v16 sounds realy nice . You know I wonder if two dodge v10 could go togeather and do the same thing "V20" I just bought one of off of ebay that I have not even picked up yet and I already have another one out of the same model vehicle. Wow this sounds awsome!!! Does anyone thing it would even be worth doing?

michobebeOffline
Post subject: RE: Front-Rear ratio; a heads up  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2008 - 04:24 PM

Scotter: What happened t your V16 project since then, finshed it or no? show some pics if its done Laughing

jtm311Offline
Post subject: RE: Front-Rear ratio; a heads up  PostPosted: Apr 13, 2008 - 11:31 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Kev Kev on here has already finsihed one.

John

Jump to: