Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 17 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimboOffline
Post subject: Opinion on driving lights  PostPosted: Dec 03, 2006 - 11:44 PM

Ok I know by the last post that no one likes the front of the IFG VT but it is what I have to work with. I could not stand the crooked pop up lights and since im not going for exact I made a change. Im building it the way it suits me after all im going to drive it and im paying for it. But since I have the radiator in the front and it seems that at highway speeds is when they over heat I want a way for air to get to the radiator. After looking at tons of pictures I decided one of the best ways to allow air in was to imitate the large oversized driving light hole. Now for the part I want opinions on. Do you think it will look ok for me to open up the driving light hole like I have in the pictures and I can channel the air over to the radiator from behind the lights. Here is a link to the page in my diary. [url] http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes-to-the-front&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php [/url] . I hope the link works I never know if I shuld put a space between the URL thing. Thanks in advance for your opinions and dont be to hard on me.

Jim

Reply with quote Back to top
dBOffline
Post subject: RE: Opinion on driving lights  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 - 12:10 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi:

If you are reffering to the gap under the (2 pair) driving lights, I think that would be a great way to open up air flow and make it a somewhat disguised method as shown in the red car picture.

dB..........

BullRiderOffline
Post subject: RE: Opinion on driving lights  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 - 07:22 PM

I vote to open them up. I personally think that accuracy is overrated in kit cars. If I wanted a perfect car, I'd buy the original. It's the little touches like the ones you are talking about that really make it your car.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Lambo2005Offline
Post subject: RE: Opinion on driving lights  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 - 07:54 PM
KitCentral Fellow

People that can afford the real car make such modifications to be different.
Its not enough to have a rare car they personalize it too, so change it however you like.
Thats the great thing about these cars. You have the basis for an exotic and since your building it from the ground up you can make the changes that show your own personality.

JimboOffline
Post subject: RE: Opinion on driving lights  PostPosted: Dec 04, 2006 - 10:30 PM

Thats how I feel it is mine to do with what I want. I know I could never make it exact especially with the old molds it was made from. IFG has treated me good so I cant complain there. 4 years later and Dan and Ray still answer my questions when I call just like they did when I first started. I didnt know about this web site when I bought my kit so I didnt know the design flaws of the IFG VT (or how much work this would be) or I probably would of bought a differnt body style. I like the wing on the VT for some reason thats why I was set on this model. I want something I can drive comfortably and not have mechanical problems every other week and oh yea and turn heads while im doing it. I have made alot of subtle changes to make it the way I like it. I figure as long as im happy with it nothing else matters. Thanks for your supportive comments.

Jim

slightaccentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2006 - 04:03 AM

Here is how i did mine

http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=album257&id=Progress_April_2006_003&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2007 - 10:22 PM

Well i cut them out an shaped in the openings. In the picture I dont have the driving lights mounted yet so they sit a little low and croocked. I just shoved them in there for a quick picture. Do you think they look better than before or just different? I kinda like that it adds some character to the front. Once I spray on rustdefender and sand it all out the edges should be a little more crisp and defined.[url] http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=Changes-to-the-front&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php [/url]

Jim

BullRiderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2007 - 10:44 PM

I wonder at how much you've really gained, air-flow wise, that is.

Here is what you had:

And what you've got now:

Looks like you've got an opening that is about 1" x 6" there for airflow. I'm not too certain as to how much this will help, though it definitely will to some extent. Is there any way to open them up bigger.

Maybe it just looks small because of the angle. Perhaps you can show us some better pics?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Lambo2005Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 27, 2007 - 11:49 PM
KitCentral Fellow

You could always eliminate the dual rectangle fog lamps and go with a small beam like on the 6.0's.
Maybe even open the small hole for the fog lamps and make the opening where the lights are now stricktly air intakes.
That might actually look good but probably closer to the later models. Maybe someone can photo shop it for you.

guywithlamboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 12:52 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I'm not a expert ,but when on my 25th was overheating , some raceguys who mods Corvettes for races, told me I need to add that little spoiler on the bottom of the front rad, over the rear 2 rads I did add a shroud so the air would go only over the rad instead all over the engine bay. 100F( 30+C) no problem even in stop n go trafic.

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 28, 2007 - 06:34 PM

Ive only been told that "if" I have a cooling problem it would be while at highway speeds. The person that told me that said there is almost a vacuum effect underneith on the car when traveling at a high speed. All I was doing is giving a place where some extra air would enter just incase that is true. It also breaks up the bottom section of the front and gives it a little character. A hole 1" by 12" would give a little extra air to the radiator and hopefully help alittle was my thought. Im also going to add a couple of angled 1" pieces in front of the radiator to help scoop air from underneith and also protect it from what ever I may run over. If I made the holes any taller I would of made the bottom to thin and easily breakable and I dont want that. I can stand on the nose anywhere at the bottom (225 lbs) and it doesnt flex or give at all. I stand on there and bounce the car up and down to check suspension travel to make sure nothing hits when I make any changes. I dont want something that breaks easily I want to be able to drive this any time and not worry I might hit a squirl or something and destroy the front. Its a car not a nic nack.

Jump to: