Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 63 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: Jdinner's BMW V-12 Project  PostPosted: Jan 30, 2007 - 12:48 AM
KitCentral Fellow

As many of you know I try to do things the cheapest way possible. I just bought two cars for $1200.00 total. They both were missing parts but all the parts that were needed were there.
I spent a full week looking over the wiring manual and wished that a chart like this was available.

http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/BMW%20750%20V12.doc

I put this chart to work today and after about three hours I had the engine running without using the components in the car.
I retained all the engine wire harness, EML, DME's (three computers), and the power distribution box. I relocated the throttle pedal potentiometer to the engine bay to see if it would work. All works perfectly.

I plan on dismantelling the car and selling modules and parts so that I can break even on the engine purchase.

It was a good day!!

Cheers;
Jim

Reply with quote Back to top
jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: Jdinner  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 - 04:17 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I have posted some measurements for the adapter plate in the way of a photo album on my site.
http://stweb.peelschools.org/sssweb/TTI-WEB/cars/pictures/AdapterNotes/index.html
I have also posted a video on YouTube of me running the engine using only three wires. The engine electrical is totally seperate of the 750 chassis, even the fuel pump and check engine lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUm1ZpfkJs8
The sound is delayed on this video.

Lambo2005Offline
Post subject: RE: Jdinner  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 - 03:50 PM
KitCentral Fellow

You are a talented man Jim. The school district should consider themselves lucky to have you.
Wish my shop teacher would have been half as smart. lol

faaqassoOffline
Post subject: RE: Jdinner  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 - 04:19 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Jim, I have an adapter to mount that engine to a zf transaxle that I never used.About 6 years ago I was going to do a BMW v12 mounted to a panterra ZF but never had the time.

jdinnerOffline
Post subject: RE: Jdinner  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2007 - 09:11 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks Steve but I am ok on the adapter. It is the flywheel that will be the problem. I am going to use 1045 steel for it.
Thanks Rob Smile

Jim

Wile_E.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 01:39 AM
KitCentral Fellow

You're blazzing the trail, Jim. Now, I am starting to reconsider using an aftermarket engine managements system. California can't deny your set-up so long as it meets the correct emissions for the year of the engine.

RUNDLCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 04:03 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Man Jim, you just kinda take the bull by the horns don't ya!! So three wires has the youtube engine going!! That is amazing. Excellent write up & pinuots.

Again good work,

Wile E why would you consider the after-market (at about 2500.) rather than just using the bmw setup? Do you think the B.A.R./ref's would let the after-market EMS go as long as they saw the emissions equip.?

RUNDLC

Wile_E.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 03:38 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Run,
That's the golden question. According to the B.A.R. Technical Advisor, it is possible to use an aftermarket management system. But, before I jump into that, I want to be sure the B.A.R. Referee is in agreement. Each way has its advantages. With an aftermarket system, it seems you can tune more HP but then there is the cost. With the set-up that Jim is perfecting, the B.A.R. can not disapprove and the cost is your doner vehicle.

bodgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Good news Jim, I am glad someone else has managed to get one running now. This proves that even some of the later 750's can be used, even the US spec cars.

Now comes the hard part, moving all those wires!

www.v12diablo.co.uk

gwaderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 08:22 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Jim Dinner = Mad Scientist. Very cool Jim!

greg

Custom NAERC 6.0
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28631797@N03/

bodgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 09:55 PM

Hey Jim, are you going to extend the wires or make a new loom entirely?

If you are thinking of using the Audi gearbox (5 or 6 speed), Parallel Designs in the UK do an adapter plate which is what I used on my build.
Heres a video of my setup running back in May, I havent driven the car far as I have to demolish a garage to get the car off my property...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWGlq-hcO0o

www.v12diablo.co.uk

wire2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 11:38 PM
KitCentral Fellow

That's an interesting exhaust, Bodger. I'll guess headers to oval mufflers, 180° pipes into round mufflers, and then?

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2007 - 11:42 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Hey Simon (Bodger), I would not even have considered this project without seeing your success! Thanks for offering so much on your site.
I plan on extending the throttle potentiometer wires, the DK motor (throttle body) wiring, and the computer wires.
I have my adapter/flywheel worked out in my head and when I know it works I will post the cost and details on here and my site.
The way I have all the wires right now is they are plastic tied to the top of the motor. I plan on removing it intact. If I had a portable cooling and fuel system it could be removed while running!! I even plan on leaving the air filters connected for the removal.

Something else is floating in my brain....I found out that later model Audi's had a larger diameter flywheel (more contact/more friction and it will fit inside the bellhousing) and these flywheels are interchangable as long as you change the clutch. Also they are much lighter and do not have a stepped surface.
They may even bolt to a crankshaft adapter hub, I will know soon.

Cheers;
Jim

bodgerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 12:07 AM

When you get round to extending those wires, use loads of tape and mark every cable! Its much easier to join cable A to cable A then having to work out which of the green with red tracers is the right one to connect to which computer. I managed to reverse two cables and it took an afternoon of going through the manuals to figure out which one I got wrong.

Ive got an Audi 5-speed gearbox from an 1996 A6 Passat Diesel. I have no idea if this car is available in the US but its a good one if you can get it. The Ratio's are almost the same as the BMW 750's gearbox so I am expecting it to be a good match. Its only a five speed of course, but so was the original.

The Clutch that came with my kit is from an Aston Martin, so I am led to believe. I had to remove some aluminium from inside the bellhousing to stop it from rubbing, the clearances are really, really tight. The kit comes with a flywheel that it far heavier than I would like, and it sticks out a hell of a long way. Seems to work OK though.

The exhaust system came from Parallel Designs in the UK. Its a stainless steel system and after the backbox (the round muffler), I have two tail pipes. They have inserts to reduce the noise so that it will pass the UK noise emission standards that are part of our vehicle inspection (SVA). These noise suppression parts have a habit of 'flying off' immediately after the test. Wink

www.v12diablo.co.uk

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2007 - 01:24 AM
KitCentral Fellow

bodger wrote:
These noise suppression parts have a habit of 'flying off' immediately after the test. Wink

I heard that!!

Jump to: