Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 28 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
johnnyboyOffline
Post subject: for all you body gurus help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 - 12:41 AM
KitCentral Fellow

this ones for all you body guys. i know im going to get read the riot act for what im about to do,but i want to be unique. im want to add 1 1/2 to the bottom of my sv front bumper. you can kinda get an idea from the pic i have included.

what i have in my head is a lower profile in the front,and adding skirts on the side ala nascar look. i know i will have very little grond clearance,but it the price im willing to take. here it what i have done so far.

notice to all male builders. wife puting her small hands to use. im standing behind her with a whip Laughing .here it is from a frontal veiw.

the cut line is at the bottom of the tape. i have cut the bumper on the line. my question to you guys is what would you suggest to use to fill the inch and a half gap. remember im trying to keep the general look of the sv bumper. all i really want to o is make the air inlets wider. all suggestion appreciated.
thanks
john

Reply with quote Back to top
MIKEBAUEROffline
Post subject: body help  PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 - 01:57 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Well , johnny what i would do is to use steel strips with a screw at the top and bottom to keep the two pieces apart perfectly (six or eight of them). Glass the heck out of it from the back ( except where the strips are) let it dry and remove the strips and glass those voids in. Then two or three layers on the front then use filler to fill the voids perfectly. just remember to rough up the resin and fiberglass before applying new glass. Thats just the way I would do it, i feel that it would be very strong. You could use nothing but fiberglass, that would be best but time consuming and difficult to sand in tight spaces. hope i helped mike b

gwaderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2007 - 05:58 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Use masking tape on the front side of the bumper to give you a smooth finsh, once you've glassed the back.

Results from using the tape.

I just back filled with Everglass. I also used this method through out the car to get the OEM look.

Greg

johnnyboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 - 01:55 AM
KitCentral Fellow

after driving around all day in the ups truck. i kinda had and idea. since this will be a buck. i was going to use plywood for the cresent shape in the middle. that way i will have a very sturdy base,then i can use foam and sculpt the larger scoops. that whole deal will be 1 inch wide. to finish the bottom off i will make a 1/2 inch wide carbon fiber skid plate i seen this done on a nsx it look hella bad ass. let me know wht you guys think Cool .

gwaderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 - 03:13 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Could be cool....... Do it!

Greg

Custom NAERC 6.0
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28631797@N03/

Lambo2005Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 - 10:00 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I've patched a hole in a fiberglass tub that same way with the tape on the finish side.
Layed in some resin and glassed it up. Let it dry and removed the tape to find a fairly smooth surface.
Very little sanding and hole patched.

johnnyboyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2007 - 11:53 PM
KitCentral Fellow

that metal tape is the greatest. i got the idea from the imola 360 for the larger front scoops. i spend to much time thinking in my truck. i have my chassisworks plans with me and the more i look at them the more ideas i get to stuff go fast part in it. while i have a few of you guys attention, what say you on this idea. one of the main problems i see in my build is keeping everything cool. to solve the problem with the turbos,i see that mike has designed to areas for fuel cells. since mine is a hybrid of that design and the front of a fiero. i have the option of using the small tank under the console. i see that american supercars has a nice tank to fit in there. that would leave me plenty of room on both sides for my intercoolers and oil coolers. i wonder if the side get much airflow. im going to use the sv deck lid for the duel intake. i knowthe small tank will not get me that far on 10 gallons of gas but i dont plan on going that far.am i cratin a mess or does this seem doable.

Jump to: