Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 56 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JimboOffline
Post subject: Time to seal it up  PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 - 12:57 AM

Well I finally decided I was done making changes and to finish off the body work. I put on a nice coat of Rust Defender this past weekend. The color is butt ugly but it was Halloween. After I coated the body I dusted over it with a black tracer coat to help me with the final sanding. On Sunday I did do some sanding on it around the doors and vents and it looks pretty good. I plan on working on wireing up the dash and lights while the snow flies this winter and getting it in primer when the weather brakes and dare I say it paint after that. I put some pics in my diary http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=album102&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=3 Comments are welcome but dont be to hard on me! Very Happy I dont have the door or hood mounted they are just sittin on there.

Jimbo

Reply with quote Back to top
RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 - 04:39 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Don't be too hard on you? How could anyone DARE be hard on you!? You will be in that elusive 3% who actually finish. Congratulations on what you have accomplished. It looks great.
Take your time and do it right. You will be glad you did.
There is a product that body shops use that is like a big powder puff to put a dusting on the body before you sand. I think it is made by 3M. You wipe the body before sanding and it puts an even coating that will show you where the high spots are and how much more sanding you need to do to get everything even and smooth. (Just info you might want to look into.)
All the best to you. You are about to become a member in a limited group of replica builders who finish their build.

RT

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 - 10:57 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Keep it up Jimbo, I am looking forward to seeing it finished!

lambobuilderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 - 01:00 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Good work. It isn't butt ugly. Builders can see the beauty and appreciate your accomplishment in what you have done so far. As RT said, slow and steady gets you there quicker.

dBOffline
10 Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 09, 2007 - 06:43 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Hi:

Looking Good!

I was zooming into your posted pics and the lines look straight and the door gaps are pretty uniform.

With a little clear coat that Tiger Stripe thing you got going could be a new trend. ( I know it's just a misting of color Laughing )

Keep up the good work.

dB.........................

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2007 - 12:03 AM

Thanks for all the complements. RT when I get to sanding on the primer coat I plan on using the powder you were talking about. I dont know if you have ever seen a fresh from the molds IFG VT body but it was alot of work getting to this point and im pretty happy with how it is turning out. I've made quite a few changes to the car from how it started. A friend owns the body shop I borrowed to put on the coating and the people in there were pretty happy with how straight ive managed to get it. I would love to be the one to paint it also but im not sure if im quite up to that. I have learned a bunch since I started this 5 years ago. Up until then I never did any real body work so this whole project has been a huge learning experience for me and I am grateful I was able to do almost all of the work that has been done to the car so far myself. Of course each and everyone on this board has helped me out by letting me read their posts and see how they have done it thru their pictures. When I do to the next steps I will definately have some pictures posted of the whole process and hopefully someone may learn something from me, even if it is not to do it the way I did.
Thanks again
Jimbo

t.doyle11Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 10, 2007 - 01:12 AM
KitCentral Fellow

looking good.

I would spray it yourself, if you came this far might as well finish it... If you can spray primer, its almost the same thing, the only really difficult part is the color(clear coat) sanding 1500-3000 grit. but if you mess up, sand and re-spray... might cost more $$$, but you did it all start to finish

just my 2 cents.

KenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 07, 2007 - 12:19 AM

Looks great. I've watched your build and got some ideas from you. Keep up the great work. I am trying to decide if I want to change my head lights from the pop-up like you did. Did you rebuild the head light area yourself? What did you do it?

Thanks, Ken

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 15, 2007 - 06:13 AM

Ken,
I put a album in my build diary showing the basics of how I did it. It might not the best way but it worked for me. The lights sit a little higher than most and that is because I used the hole that was already there for a starting point. I dont think it looks to bad and it also raises the lights which means a little better lighting on the road at night. I had to cut out and make much bigger the holes for the turn signals also. The ones I bought didnt come close to fitting in the hole. I figured while I was at it I would change the driving light holes to. Thanks for the comments Ive had a rough time trying to line things up so they looked ok. The two sides of the car are completely different I have made so many changes just so the average person doesnt pick up on them to quickly. I showed some things to a friend and he just looked at it for a while and then said oh yea now I see it. I tried to make the differences as subtle as possible. It's allot of work but it is also allot of fun working on it.

Jimbo

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 02:44 AM

Well im trying something new. I had the tail light bezzels painted to look like carbon fiber. I thought it would add a little something to the rear of the car. It is hard to get a good shot of them Ill have to wait for a nice sunny day to get a good picture. Here is a link to the pic's.
http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=album459&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php When the clear has more time to harden I will buff it out some more.

Jimbo

RUNDLCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 04:46 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Hey the bezels look real nice, I have heard of that techniqe but never seen it before. Did a special paint shop do it for you? I was quoted by the square inch to do that!

RUNDLC

DominiqueOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 08:13 PM
KitCentral Fellow

wel done , looks real good !

facebook:lambonick@hotmail.com

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 10:04 PM

I had a local guy do the work. I did the body work on it and he primed them blocked them out and did all the painting with House of Colors paint for about $100. He just came up with this way of doin it he used to use a mesh cloth but now he uses a vinyl printer to do the pattern. He put a little bit of a flaw (curv) in it so it looked more like it was hand made. My sample dash piece was a little wavy thats where he got the idea. I have other work he is going to do but I'm not saying what until it is done. A little over 5 years ago I talked Dan at IFG into getting the bull embroidered on my head rests and now it is kinda standard. The best part is I only paid $15 for it since it was a trial. I dont want my paint idea getting out there until I take it out there. If I can get some of his airbrush work Ill put it in my photo diary he is amazing. I stopped in when he was working on a motorcycle and painting skulls on it and it just leaves you standing there with your mouth hanging open. Ill see what kind of pictures I can get.

Thanks
Jimbo

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 05, 2008 - 10:59 PM

FYI I added a album on the second page of my diary with some of his airbrush pictures. There is a couple of motorcycles and the TBird is amazing. It looks like chrome and has a 3D effect walking by people dont even notice that it is painted on. The skull bike was another amazing project I missed seeing it after he put on the blue candy. http://www.kitcentral.com/pn/html/modules.php?set_albumName=album24&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=2

Jimbo

gwaderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 07, 2008 - 06:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Nice tail light covers! I just bought some after market CF for my 6.0. I won't tell you how much I payed for them.

Greg

Custom NAERC 6.0
https://www.flickr.com/photos/28631797@N03/

Jump to: