Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 66 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
t.doyle11Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 10, 2008 - 11:07 PM
KitCentral Fellow

1985-1989 XT turbo 4 cyc
but also had a flat v6 very low car. i had one and put on over 100K on it. I removed the engine by hand with a friend. so light. they also use them in home made helicopters

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2090659

Reply with quote Back to top
chase1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 08:07 AM

Why dont you just buy a Murcie kitn and shrink it to fit the Fiero? I saw a car it was done to, and it didn't look bad. The guy took the 11" out right at the center of the doors.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 02:56 PM

I already thought about cutting the mold it self, but the car would look prety wierd . As for Subaru, they have 2 interesting models; The SVX with a flat 6 and 103 inch wheelbase, and the XT6 or XT 85-90 with 4 or 6 cyl flat but 97 inches of wheelbase. So for the XT6 i'll have to forget it cause it comes back to the same wheekesses of the fiero (wheelbase) ,

but the for SVX, do you think it could be a good choice to cover the flat 6 with a murcilago kit without too much problems? Is there any special concerns about the car or about getting the job done?
Thanks again.. I appreaciate it.

RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 04:19 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Since the Subaru is a unitized construction, your concern,

"My principal concern is that here in canada, it's pain in the ass getting a kit car inspected and approved, after asking I was told that I could leave the car with the exact title it has, as long as I keep the base of the original car "untouched" and then would not need any inspection nor approval."

seems to still be a concern. You will have to remove almost everything above the window line (and maybe more below) then reinforce the lower chassis.
How much modification will they allow?
If you are concerned about the wheelbase, you may be able to make some suspension mods to acheive the proper length without stretching the chassis.
Anyone building one of these cars will tell you it is a L O T of work! You cannot expect anything simple and it will take a very long time to complete and a vast supply of money. I hope you are ready.
Please keep us informed of your progress.

RT

chrisbarbersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 05:44 PM
KitCentral Fellow

OK, not sure about wheelbase etc but having had a bit of a think about this, I have a suggestion and a mighty powerful one at that, availability at the right cost may be an issue in the US though.

But playing with a couple of pics the BMW 850i has quite a low nose and allowing for moving the radiators to the back etc this may actually be a credible option as although the nose is longer than the Murci a lot of the front is taken up with popup headlights etc, plus you would still get rear wheel drive via a propshaft.

The best bit is that these came in V8 and V12 versions.

As I said, I don't know about wheelbase but if you can get the details it may be close enough to work with slight modification to the murci body.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 06:25 PM

I was involved early this year into buying a 1991 850i, it is an amazin machine, nevertheless the main reao why people built replicas is for the cost of maintenance it will save, unfortunatly after check into the after market parts stores, Bmw 8 series is sooo rare and so expensive to maintaine, and very few mecanics know exactly how to fix them.

The v12 is incredibly smooth in then (too much for a sports car with silk smooth ?) but doesn't rev high enought . Saying that, it's really not that important, but the major thing is that it's a front v12, just impoooosible to put a murci kit on it

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 06:28 PM

"RT" why do you say that i'll have to remove everythin above the window since its a unitized construction?

RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 11, 2008 - 07:56 PM
KitCentral Fellow

You asked:
"RT" why do you say that I'll have to remove everything above the window since its a unitized construction?

You don't have to remove any of it UNLESS you want it to look like a Murci. Being a unitized construction just means when you cut it off, you will have to restore the strength to the frame. If you don't cut away everything that would be outside the body of the Murci, you would have a funny looking Murci.
Go back to the Lounge section and take a look at the Ferrari 360 video post. There is a replica that is built on a chassis that requires very little mods. Maybe you should look into one of them.
I don't want to discourage you. Are you sure you want to get into building a car? These things are a lot of work.
Keep us posted.

RT

chrisbarbersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 12, 2008 - 12:03 AM
KitCentral Fellow

The Ferrari on the Pug 406 Coupe is more work than people would have you believe and the chassis does have to be altered for the wheelbase and there is some cutting to the body work you keep, so the same issue will probably arise.

Now the MR2 based Ferrari F355s they are pretty unmolested.

Almost all the decent Ferrari or Lambo replica's need some kind of modification to the chassis or suspension, let's face it there just aren't many cars as big and as long as these cars of ours...

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2008 - 04:51 PM

why dont you just go with an acura nsx, pretty much same wheel base as the murci and plenty of power to back up the looks, plus the engine is already in the back.

if you dont mind me asking, where abouts in canada are you located, I'm intrested in getting a murcilago kit but can't find one anywhere, and I dont really want to get one from the states due to importing it back in to canada would be a bit hard

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 16, 2008 - 04:54 PM

and another thing, all of the pannels on the nsx can be removed, the body pannels are bolt on to the chasis, so you dont have to do any cutting

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2008 - 03:19 AM

I live in Montreal... you? About the body, I'm molding it myself no problem with that so there's no kit to buy (didn't find ANY for 3 months) that's why I'll do it myself but that's not the toughest part believe me.

Mmm.. the Nsx is not really close to the murci's wheelbase (99.6 vs 104.9) more than 5 inches in difference that's gonna be same as fiero, though the result could be better (better engine power, better sound, newer chassis)

I'm still looking for a way to solve my problem, I know most of guys here suggested to stretch the fiero, but still too complicated... until now Subaru SVX seems a good alternativ but there might be better
At least I hope so Laughing

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2008 - 03:28 AM

ohh yeahh forgot you just can't find an NSX for less than 20 000$.. not really a bargain

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2008 - 03:23 PM

i'm in ontario, currently I got a project going my self, working on the enzo at the moment should be ready soon. I dont know any other suggestions for you, but good luck in your search, let me know when you have your mold completed I would really like to see it.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 17, 2008 - 03:43 PM

no prob.. i'm waiting for better temperatures and a bit of freetime before I start, but the main reason i didnt do it yet is because i cant find the right donnor yet
Good luck for the enzo, tell us when its done, I might come give you a visit Wink

Jump to: