Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 58 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 12:26 AM

are you making a buck or are you copying it from the real car?

Reply with quote Back to top
michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2008 - 06:58 AM

I'm doing it off of the real murcielago, I dont know how to do it completely from scratch with the paper and the wood thing, it might just end up completely wierd, dont want to take that risk because fiberglass is really expensive not only to buy but also to ship it .

I know its going to be really expensive because I dont know other ways of having a murci to work with other than rent one( for around 3000$ a day) Shocked molding should be done within a day. So I'll do my best to make it good Cool and hope maybe I could make an example or 2 out of that mold and that could pay back for the original car. Very Happy

I Don't about you guys how you do it, give me your position about my preocedure
Laughing

Bra1nd3adOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2008 - 03:48 AM
KitCentral Fellow

As far as your front engine donor issue, see if you could find the wheel base for a mid 90s 350ZX. I was driving next to one on the freeway on the way home from work and noticed that the hood just barely goes a bit higher than the top of the wheels and I figured I should bring it up.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2008 - 03:47 PM

Do you mean 300ZX ? 350 is the new one(2004 something..), 300 is the old. Thank for the idea, but the 300zx is 96.5 (alsmost as long as the fiero) far from the 104.9 of the murci Confused Thanks again , I apreaciate it Very Happy and still like to hear your optinion guys

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2008 - 06:03 PM

it is going to take longer than a day to make a mold of the car, you have to glass it in sections at a time, most likely 2-3 days of fiberglassing maybe more, depends how fast it's going to dry. The paint might lift off from the car when you go to pull the molds off. Didnt want to scare you but it happends, u just have to be very carefull when you wax it, but you can spray on another layer of release agent on to the wax, that will help protect the paint

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 07:13 AM

You're absolutely right about the paint, I'm going to put quite a few layers of releasing wax because if ever something happened to the car i'd already had payed a security deposit (around 10k$) I know, its adirty job ! Rolling Eyes Razz
for molding I tried with 5Oz fiberglas cloth to mold a few things and it didnt take much more than a few hours, so i guess for the size of the murci 5 or 6 hours would be quite enought. I plan on doing to one piece mold since it would be way to expensiv to rent it for 2 - 3 days and take out each panel to mold it.
About the fiberglassing, how many layers do you suggest me to do in general (I know some parts require more layer ) since I'm using 5 Oz cloth? I think 6 to 8 should be ok I guess.
Am I using the right cloth?
thanks Laughing

chrisbarbersOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 07:41 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Are you making a single car or moulds to try and start a business?

If you want just one car then I have to wonder why you would go to all that pain and cost when you can buy what you need from Extreme in the UK and have it shipped to you, they have already done what you plan to do and have perfect panels ready to start a build.

If I was at the beginning of my project that would be the route I would go.

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 03:56 PM

Ordering a kit from extreme from the UK would be very expensive, the dollar conversion from canadian to euro's would be around $16,000.00 plus shipping it in to canada would be another thing, it would be hard to get it in. they do, do an amazing job on the murci kit and the 360.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 08:15 PM

Yeah that's right ! if th eprice for the kit would've been more reasonable ( 16 000$) ma the is a brand new 2008 honda civic (or something similar (you get the idea))
The whole thing should cost me if i'm not wrote around 2500$ fiberglassing the mold(image) + the kit, and 3000$ for rentig the car + lets say 500$ for wax and gelcoat. I could possibly sell the mold when i'm done but i'm definitly not going to star a business cause I still study and aint'got time.

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 08:16 PM

Do you think 5Oz cloth is enough? should I take something stronger?

MsabyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 10:06 PM
KitCentral Fellow

How are you going to mold an entire car in one day, you will have to remove numerous items before you can try and lay up the fiberglass such as door handles, emblems, all rubber seal etc. and then to reassemble everything before you return the vehilce. You will have to build multiple flanges to be able to remove the fiberglass from the body. I admire your enthusiasm but I think you might be unrealistic here.

Take a look at all that went into the extreme molding process. If you do attempt this project keep us updated of your progress. Good Luck.

Thanks
Mike

michobebeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2008 - 11:34 PM

We're going to be 3 people dismounting all the small parts and doing the moulding, maybe you'Re right about the one day but remember one day is a lot, i'll start working as soon as I get the car and its not a real problem if I don't go to sleep that night. Untill then , there are a lot of preparation yet I have to handle before "starting " really
Anyone got a suggestion for the cloth and number of layer (by experience)?

prototype2Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 23, 2008 - 04:11 PM

96 toyota camery 103.1
02 toyota celica 102.4
92 honda accord 107.1
98 honda accord 106.9

thats all i can find so far for wheelbase, hope this helps a bit, the pontiacs grand am and grand prix are around there. you might have to go with a 4 dr sedan model to get the wheelbase correct. As for the space in the engine bay, you might have to relocate the engine to the back of the car if you want the right look in the front

Bra1nd3adOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 24, 2008 - 05:31 AM
KitCentral Fellow

From what I understand, the problem is the law against frame modifications. Once you find your donor, if you have problems with the engine, perhaps you could relocate the engine mounts and replace the existing oil pan with a flatter one of same capacity. I know relocating the engine mounts is still messing with the frame, but this way it'll be very minimal and you should be able to patch it up to look original.

RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2008 - 11:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Here is an off-the-wall idea for using an existing frame. Start with some convertible chassis, front engine, front wheel drive or all wheel drive, and turn the chassis around. Then flip the ring gears to get going in the right direction and convert the rear wheels to steering while you lock the steering on the previous front wheels (which are now the rear wheels).
Use your imagination and creativity to get it together.
Just a thought.

RT

Jump to: