Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 61 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
deweyOffline
Post subject: I'm not blue anymore  PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 - 07:28 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Excellent reason for not being blue anymore.ATABOY , beautiful car,
and beautiful work , lots of dedication really pay off does'nt it?

BE PROUD.

Dewey

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address  
Reply with quote Back to top
sharpmcnOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2010 - 03:49 AM

hello great car I am new to the kit car build site I am getting ready to build one myself I live in stafford VA and wish I had some people down here that are into kit cars.

KenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 - 10:11 PM

Hi Jim, Beautiful looking car. I have an IFG VT also. I hope mine turns that nice. I was hoping you could help me out. When I have the door struts installed they push the door back and makes them drag on the door jam. Did you have this problem. If so how did you fix it. And did your door hinges drag on the front tires? I am trying to figure out how to change them to clear the tires. Thanks for your help. Again great looking car. WOW!!!

Ken

MIKEBAUEROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 12, 2010 - 10:32 PM
KitCentral Fellow

They should have been compensated for during the building of the doors. They are normal but i chose to go with a different type of hinge. and tighten the door a little forward as not to latch and the strut will push it back enough to latch.

JimboOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 - 03:11 AM

Ken, Mike is correct you have to adjust the door forward to get it to close correctly. The doors were the worst part when I put the strut in the doors they looked like they were for a totally different car it was ugly. The passengers door stuck way up above the roof the bottom of both doors were way off. They will take a long time to get fitting the way you want them to so be patient it took me 7 years to get my car done.

When I mounted the body I put it about 1" higher than they said to so I had head room. So I didn’t have any problems with the hinge hitting the tire. Even after mounting it a little higher than recommended I still only have 5.5" off the ground at the front. I used thick walled square tubing for all of the frame work that I did so that it was a little heavy so it would be safer at highway speeds. I’ve had it up to 90 and it feels tight to the road and comfortable. My car completed weighs a little over 3300 lbs.

Jimbo

KenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 - 05:27 AM

Thanks to both of you. I will try that. I've been working on mine for about 5 years now. From what I have read on the forum the doors are the hardest to do. When your doors are closed is the strut horizontal or does it angle up some? The way the door frame is made from the drawings, the strut is pretty much horizontal on my door. I figured that was why the door was being pushed back so much. I thought if I set it up with the strut angled up some (when the door is closed) it might help in fixing the problem. I will try pushing the door forward like y'all suggested.

Thanks again, Ken

MIKEBAUEROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 - 01:01 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Ken , i dont think that the angle of the strut is important for anything other than the space it will take up inside the door. It will also depend on the type of kit you have (manufacture) Its all in relation to how you built the door (frame inside) to the pocket area in the door jam where the other end of the strut mounts. In my opinion the only thing that matters here is that the strut has the necessary room to fully operate thru its range.

MIKEBAUEROffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 14, 2010 - 01:09 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Jim is right about the time necessary to get these doors working perfectly. I once spent 4 hours adjusting and re-adjusting the drivers door to get it to operate perfectly. I am not saying that it will always take that amount of time or take anyone else that long. The more you do it, the faster and the more you learn just what and where to adjust them. It was all done invain because the next day i had to remove the door to continue to work on the car. Shocked

Mike

KenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 15, 2010 - 05:27 AM

That's good to know. I wont worry to much about the angle of the strut. Yea I understand the doors will take some time. I have already had them off a couple of times. I raly do appreciate your help and knowledge.

thanks, Ken

KenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2010 - 06:40 AM

Thanks for the info Mike and Jim. I moved the door hinge foward and when I mount the strut the door does not jam. Now I am trying to get the strut to fit so it will not rub the inside of the door and have room for the window tracks. I have the strut mounted where you have yours Jim. Do you have any pics of your doors? I may mount the strut higher on the fender and higher in the door. Well anyway thanks for the help both of you.

LambeiroOffline
14 Post subject: RE: ..  PostPosted: Jul 12, 2010 - 03:47 PM

Congrats Jimbo!!! Like I've said previously after going to Carlisle this year, GREAT BUILD. Add another to the 3% Club!!! See you next year.

VF1SkullangelOffline
Post subject: RE: ..  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 - 10:31 PM

Thats just a sexy car. My opinion though lose that wing and go with an SV style rear wing for it. Your car looks like the 1999 VT why go with the 1992 VT wing?. Other than that I love it.

JimboOffline
Post subject: RE: ..  PostPosted: Nov 07, 2010 - 11:26 PM

I would love to have both wings so I can swap them back and forth. I like both of them and sometimes I wish I would of went with the other. I like the choppy ness and boldness of the current wing but I also like the sleekness of the other wing. If I come across one of the other that will fit I would like to buy it and paint it to match.
Thanks
Jimbo

Jump to: