Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 66 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
spyder3000gtvr4Offline
3 Post subject: new v-6 engine to consider  PostPosted: May 18, 2010 - 12:05 AM

here's a motor to consider 94+ mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 (twin turbo) motor. in its stock form it makes 330hp you can up the boost safely another 2lbs or so and replace the restrictive air filter and have about 375hp. this is without doing any real upgrades. the trans is a 6spd manual gearbox, geared high you switch out of first at 50-51mph. it is an awd transmission you can get a block off to make it just a fwd tranny. im not sure if it will fit but the way the motor sits in the 3000gt the outputs on the transmission are on the back of the motor so all the weight would be in front of the rear wheels. i am not sure what the weight is on this setup. they are relatively cheap around 2000$ with motor/trans/ecu and wiring harness on ebay. so i would have to say 350hp for 2 grand is probably cheaper then a 350hp v8 setup
the 3000gt vr4 weight about 3600lbs and its 0-60 is 5.2 or 5.3 depends where you look. but the trans is geared to 238mph (why i have no idea) off the top of my head if i remember right redlined first gear is 50mph second is 90ish never really went passed that
this is all "Just a Though"

Back on the scene since my IFG VT was stolen in 2000. IFG told me to send it to the builder Jim (james) Alger of LKC Custom Cars at Lambokits.com in northridge Califorina. never saw my red 3800sc 5speed with pop-up headlights again!

Reply with quote Back to top
VF1SkullangelOffline
Post subject: RE: new v-6 engine to consider  PostPosted: Oct 11, 2010 - 10:17 PM

The biggest problem with using a 3000GT engine is a lot of the times they have been abused beyond belief. Good luck trying to find one in good condition thats not high mileaged or has been severely been beat.

wire2Offline
Post subject: RE: new v-6 engine to consider  PostPosted: Dec 23, 2010 - 08:07 PM
KitCentral Fellow

A couple things; (I had the Canadian version for 5 years, a Dodge Stealth turbo)
The VR4 is listed 3893 lbs in the sales brochure,
HP is 320, torque is 315 starting at only 2500 rpm.
There's a viscous coupling after the front/rear diff and the setup is designed to give a 60/40 split to drive the rear wheels.
50/50 will feel/behave like a front wheel drive car.
I don't think you can just block off the rear drive, the fronts will try to turn 2x as fast.

spyder3000gtvr4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 24, 2010 - 05:11 AM

well you could use the fwd 5spd manual tranny as well.. and it would still put most of the weight in front of the rear wheels. i do believe that some guys that put the tt motor in there fwd 3000gt have blocked off the rear on the turbo trannys i think www.3sxperformance.com sells a block off plate of sorts. im just going off the top of my head right now

Back on the scene since my IFG VT was stolen in 2000. IFG told me to send it to the builder Jim (james) Alger of LKC Custom Cars at Lambokits.com in northridge Califorina. never saw my red 3800sc 5speed with pop-up headlights again!

wolkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 - 11:29 PM

Is this what you mean?

The engine in the car is blown, but I working on a 600hp monster out of my 1990 Mitsubishi GTO TT with a fwd conversion.

spyder3000gtvr4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 - 11:38 PM

my plan is to put mine in sideways, block off the rear drive. put in a coupling for the fwd.. then the right output goes to the front diff of the car and the left output will go to the rear diff. so are you going with a 5 or 6spd awd trans or a fwd trans?

wolkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2011 - 11:50 PM

I got a fwd tranny with 4wd syncros in it, and a centerforce stage 4 clutch.

spyder3000gtvr4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 - 12:11 AM

whos doing all your motor/trans work, 3sx?

wolkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 - 11:31 PM

Me, myself and I. I've been working on these cars for the past 10 years. I know them inside out.

spyder3000gtvr4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2011 - 11:35 PM

so i guess your a 3si member? i have 8 or 9 of these things at my house right now, had 23 in total over the last 13yrs now. clearing them all out to make my diablo. you planning on using anything other then the driveline out of a gt?

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2011 - 02:58 AM
KitCentral Fellow

do either of you guys have the outter stub axles????? I need 2 of them for my build

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

wolkOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 12:19 AM

how can you own a 3s and not be member if 3si? i got about 10 of them at the shop, and i'm running out of parts, don't ask how thats possible.

RTOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 02:57 AM
KitCentral Fellow

spyder3000gtvr4
You said, my plan is to put mine in sideways, block off the rear drive. put in a coupling for the fwd.. then the right output goes to the front diff of the car and the left output will go to the rear diff.
While that would give you a drive to the front and rear, those drives would already have been through a gear reduction at the differential in that transaxle and would then go through another gear reduction in the front and rear differentials. You could pull stumps out with that ratio but would get lousy gas mileage and low top speed.
You probably want to rethink that.

RT

spyder3000gtvr4Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 03:58 AM

or could use 1:1 diff's? i want to lower the ratio a bit anyway shifting out of first gear on the 6spd is at 53mph ish, with 245/45/18. so plus i want to go with 20" rims might make it around 60" so if ideally id like to drop it to around the 42-44ish mph mark. i dont need to win any races at 190mph but i want to be able to get to 90 ish pretty quick. again this is all "planning" i know what i would like but lets see if the $$$$ will allow it.

EAMartinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2011 - 04:08 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Where are you going to find a differential with 1:1 gears?

Jump to: