Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 24 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
dleachOffline
Post subject: LS1 Wiring Interface  PostPosted: Sep 25, 2010 - 04:10 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I know that this question will sound dumb to those of you, like jdinner and others, whose automotive knowledge is, to me, beyond belief.
I have a '98 LS1 (YHA} with a complete harness, including the ECM. How do I interface this with the '86 Fiero harness on my 6.0 build. I have thought that I should retain those parts of the Fiero wiring that operate non-engine related systems {AC, heater, lights, etc.). There are connectors on the LS harness for external, to the engine, systems. Can these be used or should the two wiring systems run independently {is that even possible}?
I said this was elementary. I just need to be pointed in the right direction, so that I can begin to sort this out. More specific questions will, no doubt, result.
Thanks for any help,

Don
Building a 6.0

Reply with quote Back to top
RUNDLCOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 - 02:16 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Don I am sure someone will chime in soon, but you might want to ask over on pennocks f f those guys have put anything you can think of in a fiero.

I know there are a lot of LS1's in fieros. V8 archie can do those harness' also.

RUNDLC

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 - 04:18 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I forgot about Pennock's, thanks, Carthan.

Don

MsabyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 - 04:21 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I am just finishing up my engine/ chassis wiring. I removed the Fiero harmess and repalced it with a Painless wiring harness. I re-pinned the front block so it all looks oem. the only items I reused from the chassis harness was the heater/ ac control wiring. If you are determined to reuse the fiero harness with the engine harness, just remove all engine wiring but retain everything else like the starter wiring, gauge wiring, charging system etc. Its not as difficult as you think but it does take a lot of time.

Mike

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 - 05:11 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Mike,
Does the Painless harness replace all of the chassis wiring, except for the ac/heater as you said? It would be a real time saver. I like the idea of having an OEM look rather than a hybrid appearance. Do you have a Painless part number for that harness, or does Painless make the harnesses on a custom basis? Obviously, I should be asking them. Thanks for the help.

Don
Building a 6.0

jdinnerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2010 - 12:39 PM
KitCentral Fellow

If you look at this video, it appears you only need to figure out those wires in the "three" plugs. The VATS is a simple bypass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLVZwuUzvbc&feature=related

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 27, 2010 - 04:26 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Thanks for the video, Jim. The "three plug concept" helps to organize one's thinking and simplify the problem.
Pennock's (a good suggestion by RUNDLC) was not too informative except for one amazing thing. One of the threads mentioned a "High Performance Fieros" book available on Amazon. A "reader review" of the book talked about a wiring diagram for interfacing LS1 and Fiero wiring systems. I should have the book by the end of the week. Hopefully it has a comprehensive schematic of the wiring (if it does, I'll share). Could I get so lucky?

Don
Building a 6.0

customshop1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 10, 2010 - 05:22 AM

LS1 is a great motor. Speartech Performance offer complete harness building for any ap.
Painless is great harness also we have used both of them many time.
You will need to have the computer flashed or dyno the car after it is done and they will tune it for you that is the best way.
hope this helps
You can see my Superlggera rep on my site. www.customshop.org it is an LS4 motor.which is from a Grand Prix GXP or Impala SS 2007 , great setup. runs like a top.

Jump to: