Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 62 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
onooneOffline
Post subject: Countach questions  PostPosted: Oct 29, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Since I'm new to this I want to get an idea of what's out there, and if some of my ideas are feasible.

I would like to recreate the LP500 QV, and get the exterior appearance of the car as close as possible. Are there body kits/parts out there to achieve this?

Can the Countach accept the BMW v12 with the Audi transmission?
How is the performance of that set up?
Is there any drawbacks to mating these parts?
Can it be made to sound like a Lambo V12?

Since there is an issue with the height of a driver of the Countach, can I change pedal/driver position to accommodate my 6'3" height, without any effect on the exterior of the car?

I have more questions. But I think this will be a good start.

Reply with quote Back to top
flyhilandsoft
Post subject: RE: Countach questions  PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 04:10 AM
KitCentral Fellow

Welcome,

I do not know if anyone makes a replica anymore. Euroworks was about the only company making the Countach and I recently heard that they may have gone out of business. There is still a website but I have not tried to contact them to see if they are still around. They made the Mirage S which is pretty close to the original. That was what I was going to use but found another one more accurate. If you are 6'3" you would have to move the firewall which creates an issue with the M70. I am using the M70 with a Porshe G50 and it pretty much takes up the whole engine compartment in length. I am only 5'10. You can mate just about anything ....it just cost money, and I believe that they already make an adapter for the M70 and Audi gearbox. The M70 is only 300HP but that is plenty of power for a light car. You get the V12 sound but you will pay out the wazzu for BMW engine parts as I am finding out. The initial cost of the V12 is cheap but if you have to replace parts.....get out your wallet. Ebay has a Countach now and then which sometimes there happens to be a close replica. Personally I think the best replicas made are over seas and occassionally one will pop up for sale.

http://www.siennacountach.net/gallery2/album129?page=1

http://countachbuild.shutterfly.com/pictures#:albumId=2303
Password-aluminum

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, I'm not in any rush to find a Countach just yet.

So I assume there is little room to move the pedals forward.

I figured a BMW engine would end up quite pricey. I consider them a step below Mercedes(no offense intended), parts for those cars are very steep. I could only imagine an engine as exotic as a V12.

Most of my experience is on the old Chevy small blocks, which would be my second choice for an engine.
Can the small block V8 produce a convincing sound?
Or do I need to add a 4 banger behind it Laughing ?

Is there a better choice for a transmission?

How does the transmission effect engine placement?

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 04:17 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Do you two realize (onoone and flyhilandsoft) that you live only a few miles apart. You must, I'm just pointing out the obvious.

Don
Building a 6.0

p00anamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 04:28 PM

Cliff Miller <cliffscustomfab@yahoo.com>; Has everything you need for a Countach

Good luck
EP

p00anamaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2010 - 04:30 PM

He used to make NASCAR Race cars and makes Countach frames to fit taller people. His 25th is one of the most accurate cars on the market. He has a V12 in a Countach that he is finishing

flyhilandsoft
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 31, 2010 - 02:53 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I dont know if you can ever get a V8 to sound like a V12 however I have heard a many V8's that sound amazing. You could do 180* headers to get a raspier sound or just install a cam that doesnt lope to much with a nice throaty exhaust and I think you would be happy with a V8. It is definitely the most bang fo your buck. There is also some great engine covers that look like a V12 to cover the V8.

If you were to build your own chassis you could theoretically move the pedals forward however on the Countach the pedals are already more forward compared to other cars. That rack and pinion steering goodies would start getting in the way as well as control arms.

The M70 is a well built motor and last for a very long time so if you can find a low mileage one it wouldnt need much. As far as the gearbox the Audi seems to be a popular choice but it may be to long for a V12 combo on the Countach. It is popular on the Diablo however the car is a bit longer than the Countach and will accept it easier. Others on the forum might be more helpful than me on this subject. Porshce gearbox's are more expensive but some are not. You have to be able to flip the ring gear in them otherwise you will have 1 forward gear and 4 or 5 reverse gears. There are other types of transaxles that work but many are to expensive. Mendoola, and ZF for example. UN1 are hard to find but are a tough gearbox from what I hear. If you want a cheap gearbox the Porshce 914 type is available but it was meant for lower horsepower and is geared low.

Hope this helps a bit. I live in Goodyear like dleach mentioned so you can give me a call sometime if you wish. I am not an expert but have learned a few things over the last 5 years since beginning my project.

Password-aluminum

Joe1320Offline
Post subject: Re: Countach questions  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2010 - 06:09 AM

onoone wrote:

Since there is an issue with the height of a driver of the Countach, can I change pedal/driver position to accommodate my 6'3" height, without any effect on the exterior of the car?

I'm 6' and getting in and out is a bit of a pain. I have to bend my head to the side and drop my shoulder to get in past the roofline. Once seated, my head just brushes the headliner. at 6'3", it's not going to be too convenient. It's not the pedals that will create problems, it's the roofline.

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: Countach questions  PostPosted: Oct 31, 2010 - 04:01 PM
KitCentral Fellow

you can also drop the floor pan to get more room.
You are right on your v12 assessment but you forgot one thing the Merc is big and heavy but it does have more power available.

There is a vid on utube that has a countach with a bmw 12 and I believe it uses the audi box but it could also be the un1

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Wbnemo1Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 12:05 AM

I asked Clive of DC Supercars what they used and this was his response

In the UK we use the Audi a6 (ezg 012) gearbox (5 or 6 speed). On certain models the VW passat has the same gearbox. I hear, but cannot confim, that a skoda may have the same box also. The porsche boxster looks to have a very similiar box but as yet no one has fitted one.

hope this helps

Will

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 08:08 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.

John, your answers have been food for thought. Glad to know the BMW V12 is a reliable engine. I realized it would be almost impossible to get a v12 sound out of a V8, the Lambo engines revs run much higher than a s.b.V8. That's something that can't be duplicated.
How far along is your project?
I live out in Awatukee, Goodyear is a bit of a drive but not to bad for Phoenix.

Just how much room for an engine is there?

How far can the floor pan be safely dropped?

AB I hate to admit it but I never new Merc made a V12. It does have some appeal(that is if it fits).

Has anybody fitted a nose lift? Does it need it?

flyhilandsoft
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 03:34 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Ahhhhh.....Awatukee, the worlds largest culda-sac. I am in Estrella Mountain Ranch which we would be very close if there wasnt a large mountain right smack dab in the middle of us. It is a long drive around but that is Phoenix for ya.

Mercedes does make a V12 as Adrian mentioned but they are very expensive. Way more expensive than a BMW. Jag V12's are to big but inexpensive. Even Toyota made a V12 but good luck findig one. It actually looks close to a BMW V12. Your best choice for a V12 is the BMW M70.

The Countach sits just under 5" from the ground so lowering the floor pan would be difficult. Mine is built at 5" and if I lower it anymore it would be protruding below the lower chassis tubing.

Adding airbags to raise the nose for speedbumps is easy to do and many of the Diablo guys have done this. I have thought about this but it is to far down the road for me so maybe others can pipe in on this subject. It is a nice feature from what I hear.

Password-aluminum

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 04:41 PM
KitCentral Fellow

John,

Are you near the Estrella Gliderport? When my son lived in Tucson, I was going to go up there to see what was going on. I had heard that it was a very good soaring venue. Now he lives in Portland, so I'll stick to Truckee for soaring.
Didn't mean to highjack the thread.
Talk to the "low rider" guys and suppliers about airbags. They have all the parts and a ton of experience retrofitting those systems. I'm sure they could adapt their stuff to your Countach.

Don

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 09:42 PM

flyhilandsoft wrote:
Ahhhhh.....Awatukee, the worlds largest culda-sac. I am in Estrella Mountain Ranch which we would be very close if there wasnt a large mountain right smack dab in the middle of us. It is a long drive around but that is Phoenix for ya.

Yep around South Mountain on I-10, or take a long drive through the Indian reservation. There used to be a dirt road off of Pecos that went to 51st Ave. The indians blocked it off, must one of those sacred land things. If that road was open I could be in your area in about 30 min.

I know how expensive Mercs can get, my mother has two of them. But they are really good cars. We have an 82 300TD station wagon my mother bought it new. We have such an attachment to it, we consider it a member of the family.

Are the M70's easy to find?
What kind of power do they put out?

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 01, 2010 - 10:17 PM
KitCentral Fellow

You can get an entire car for about 2k. depending on the yr. as far as power goes 300hp is what the m70s were rated at the m73 had 326hp, you can find them everywhwere

The merc v12 come is around 400 hp but they are harder to find and $3500 for just the engine

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

Last edited by AdrianBurton on Nov 02, 2010 - 05:43 PM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to: