Page Loading... please wait!

This message not going away?
Ensure Javascript is on and click the box
Unregistered? Register for a user account. Home :: Downloads :: Submit News :: Reviews :: FAQ   

There are 42 unlogged users and 0 registered users online.

You can log-in or register for a user account here.

Languages

Preferred language:

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
flyhilandsoft
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 01:01 AM
KitCentral Fellow

dleach wrote:
John,

Are you near the Estrella Gliderport? When my son lived in Tucson, I was going to go up there to see what was going on. I had heard that it was a very good soaring venue. Now he lives in Portland, so I'll stick to Truckee for soaring.
Didn't mean to highjack the thread.
Talk to the "low rider" guys and suppliers about airbags. They have all the parts and a ton of experience retrofitting those systems. I'm sure they could adapt their stuff to your Countach.

Don

Don,

Yep it is straight south of me. I think they still do a little bit of sailing out there but not like the old days. Trukee.....I had a nice long layover in Reno awhile back then rented a car and drove around Lake Tahoe. We ended up in Trukee and made a stop at Donner Pass. I know you get some good winds up there for sailing because I have had my hands full on more than one occasion landing on 16-34 in Reno.

http://www.siennacountach.net/gallery2/album129?page=1

http://countachbuild.shutterfly.com/pictures#:albumId=2303
Password-aluminum

Reply with quote Back to top
dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 04:00 AM
KitCentral Fellow

John,
While you were in the Truckee area you probably passed within a mile of our place at Northstar on your way from the lake.
Truckee can be challenging on a windy summer afternoon. Runway 19 has a row of trees along side it with a gap in the trees just about at the flare. Afternoon winds (when everybody is coming home) are westerly, 15 to 25 knots, routinely. The trees shelter you from the crosswind until you get to the gap. But, that is what makes flying endlessly satisfying, making a good landing or approach or whatever under trying conditions. You know what I mean.

Don

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 06:40 AM

Going with an M70 engine what transmission will fit the Countach? And still be robust enough?

John, 5" clearance? That's not much to play with. I have friends that had mini trucks back in the 80's. Those guys would lower trucks to 2-4"(sometimes less). They had a hell of a time, I remember helping a few get off of speed bumps.
I'll assume it can go lower, then a nose lift(and tail lift) would be mandatory.

flyhilandsoft
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 04:12 PM
KitCentral Fellow

onoone,

Yep 5". That is the bottom rails of the chassis. If you wanted to go lower you would have to drop the pan lower than the chassis. The floorpan is already at the lowest point in the car. The chassis would give you some protection from damage to the floor pan. You could lower the whole car, but you still will not get the height distance. The only other way to get the height is to raise the roof and if you want it to look accurate than you wouldnt want to do that. The body is somewhere around 36 inches in its thickest point top to bottom. Most speedbumps are high enough that 5" could be an issue.

The M70 is only 300HP so you dont need anything to robust like a Porsche 930 gearbox. You will need something very short especially if you have to move the firewall back for your height. My gearbox is only 25.5" in length and I am not moving the firewall. It is still going to take up most of the length of the engine compartment.

Password-aluminum

dleachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 04:50 PM
KitCentral Fellow

When I was doing research on a transaxle for my (newly acquired) LS1, I was told that 300 hp is about the upper limit for a Boxter transaxle. I have a Fiero chassis, so length in the engine bay is still a major issue. Just sayin'.

Don
Buuilding a 6.0

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 09:17 PM

It looks like accommodating my height is the real problem. Now I don't want to change the external appearance of the car, all of those I have seen that have been altered just look awful.

My first thought to accommodate my height, is to move the pedals forward and angle the seat back, another is to eliminate the seat rails(if there are any) and mount the seats to the floor. Since the seats are more inboard in the car I could get away with a deeper floor, even using steel plate for the floorboards. I don't think that would be the best solution, that would be quite jarring whenever something hit the plate.

John your idea of moving the firewall back makes sense. I'm sure it would limit my choice of engines, perhaps to a small block v8 or even v6. I would a v12 but if it doesn't fit, that's it.

Do any of you guys have drawings of the car in section?

AdrianBurtonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2010 - 11:27 PM
KitCentral Fellow

I think that the changes that you are planning will give you the room that you need

http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/

88.5countachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 12, 2010 - 12:48 AM
KitCentral Fellow

I bought mine off a guy that was your size, I'm 6'. The countach seats don't really have a but cushion, more of a full curve in the seat, think they did this so you can move your but forward on the seat. Its not bad for me and I know the previous owner drove quite a bit this way. The seats basicaly on the floor and you could get a couple more inches out of the pedals to recline your seat. I long for that V12 sound!

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2010 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for the replies guys. I got in touch with John, I'm very impressed with his effort. I'll leave it at that.

What accurate kits were/are made of the Countach in the LP 500S or QV?
I'm not ready to get started but I was wondering what is out there?

88.5countachOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2010 - 06:05 PM
KitCentral Fellow

onoone wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys. I got in touch with John, I'm very impressed with his effort. I'll leave it at that.

What accurate kits were/are made of the Countach in the LP 500S or QV?
I'm not ready to get started but I was wondering what is out there?

I'm bias to Armstong (my car), Kustom , Euroworks, Prova were always at the top of my list due to accuracy and usually available in North America. This comes from only seeing them in the pages of a magazine or the internet and 25 years of comparing them to the real one I saw up close. Plus the walls of my home office reasemble a 16 year olds bedroom. I think most of these mould were made off the real deal allthough I could be wrong on the Euroworks, some angles just didn't look quite write. I'm sure guys on the forum have some more I've forgotten and the ones overseas but finding the ones that are the are accurate can be difficult due to opinions of accuracy. If you looking for a place to see some check out http://lamborghinireplica.com/ForSale/For%20Sale.htm they have a couple kits for sale or that have sold and at least you can compare. Should be some on the forum as well.

streetproOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2010 - 08:19 AM

hello im new to this forum also 6'3,you might think of making a roadster.the car is very cramped anyway and cutting the top off makes the car ten times better to drive,i think it looks better also,mine is made so the widow frames can come off,and the roof can come off and go back on easy.air ride is a must if your car sits right you have to have a way to raise it up to go over speed bumps.air ride is just air shocks hooked up to a pump then to a switch to raise or lower the front end,these can be bought at pep boys.mine has a 7.0 liter olds engine,th-425 tranny.i dont think it matters what engine you drop in the back as long as your happy with it.people at car shows just love the car for what it is.

flyhilandsoft
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2010 - 09:36 PM
KitCentral Fellow

Max,

I had an overnight in Philly last night and on the drive to the hotel I noticed a Countach in a small dealers shop through the window. It was a 25th and I high tailed it down there before they closed to see if they would let me check it out. They were very happy to let me look at it as long as I wished and said to bring my camera next time. I will take them up on it on my next trip there. Anyway.........I forgot how small these cars really are inside beings I have not seen one in over 20 years. I must say it is going to be extremely difficult if not impossible for you to get in one without some major modifications (not sure what they will be because it will have to be drastic) for you to even get in the car. I am 5'10" and it was very difficult for even me. If I were you I would start looking at a Diablo due to your height. Just my .02

Password-aluminum

onooneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2010 - 05:34 AM

Understood and greatly appreciated, John.

My heart is still set on one of those cars. I knew a real one would be out of the question for my height. So a kit is the next logical choice. Funny thing, I got to get in one back in high school. I don't remember having much trouble, and I was the same height then as today.

A buddy of mine tells me the local Lambo club(in Scottsdale) shows off their cars on the weekends. It looks like it might be worth my time to go check it out. I'll cue you in when I find out when an where.

snakchmrOffline
Post subject: too tall, you have the wrong car  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2010 - 02:24 PM

Like you I am also over 6 feet. So when I knew I had to have a Countach I searched high and low for an answer and over the years have and still own the solutions you seek. I have a convertible Countach on a stretched Fiero. Let me tell you the car does not look the same with the top off. It looses a lot of CLASS that the hard top has. Not sure why? I also have a Diablo roadster that is now 95% done, just looking for someone to paint it this winter. With the ability to have the car custom made. I made sure the car had enough room for Big guys. The car is set up and has the ability to fit regular and large bone folks. Now my pride and joy, my Countach. I found the car 10 years ago made by a company in England called Mirage. By far one of the best reproduction cars around. Now remember I have had and seen them all, so when I say the best I mean the best. Built for guys 6”2, I fit and drive the car, now this summer passed 11 000 km, a big deal for folks who build there own cars. I must admit, you have to FOLD your self in half to get in, but once you get the hang of it, it works. However a blast to drive, but by no means a Cadillac. Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck. I would love to post picks but for the life if me, have tried and no luck. If you want to see, just ask.

dleachOffline
Post subject: RE: too tall, you have the wrong car  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2010 - 05:21 PM
KitCentral Fellow

At the California Auto Museum, here in Sacramento, we have a Countach 5000(500)QV. I'm 5'-9" (in my old age) and I fit in that car like it was made for me. This Countach is the one that had been specially built for Malcom Forbes. It is painted a, not so pretty, green (the color of money) and has gold wheels, all at Forbes request.
My point is: it's a good fit for someone that's 5'-9" or 10". If you are 5'-12" or 13" it is probably going to feel a little crowded. I just remembered, aren't the pedals adjustable in that car? Anyway, it's a wonderful machine, I can totally see why someone would want to build it.

Don
Building a 6.0

Jump to: